Advices for a Win XP config

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Hey friends, i have to manage a 'difficult' situation, and i need your help. :)
Any tips and suggestions will be strongly appreciated.

I have to format an old Desktop (2005) for a friend, and its use is going to be in an office as a replacement/secondary PC.

1) The OS must be Windows XP Pro, that's the only one I can install because of a Genuine License, no different OS.
(I know XP is out of support and more vulnerable to any threats, but that's mandatory :confused:).

2) Any installed software must be Open Source or Free for commercial Use.

My first thought about general softwares goes to:

* Office suite: Open Office (Open Source)
* Compression Utility: 7zip (Open Source)
* PDF printer: Bullzip PDF printer (site says: {Free version for personal and commercial use up to 10 users})
* PDF viewer: Adobe Reader XI (explicit owner need, no replacements :()
* Media player: MPC-HC (Open Source)
* Firefox + an adblock extension
* Java (needed for running some online app/portals, although it's a consistent vulnerability)

3) The problems come with security needs:

I can't replace built-in Firewall (i know it's weak, but it's an user explicit need). :(

I need a simple AV for real time protection that respect explained conditions,
to combine with a USB protection against infected drives if AV is not enough.

I know this PC is NOT going to be infected, but prevention is better ;)

What do you suggest me? :)

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the loooong post. :D

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
At first i highly recommend u to upgrade Ur OS. Well i suggest u to add Avast Free Antivirus( Comes with lot of features ) or Quihoo 360 Total Security (Amazing triple engine for high detection and worth it ) for real time protection. If u want a advanced usb protection software u can add McSheild Antimalware Software.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi ,

1. Use Microsoft Security Essential ( Upto 10 computer in same office) and create the user one account with no administrative rights.
2. Disable Autoplay.

You may also use these antivirus. They are free for commercial use.

1. Comodo Inernet security
2. Immunet
3. Nano Antivirus

Most of the free antivirus with realtime scanning are not for commercial user.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
* Office suite: Open Office (Open Source)l
Better use LibreOffice

* PDF viewer: Adobe Reader XI (explicit owner need, no replacements :()
Foxit is a good substitute

I can't replace built-in Firewall (i know it's weak, but it's an user explicit need).
Windows Firewall at default settings works for me

1. Use Microsoft Security Essential
MSE is no longer supported in XP

Use Avast!, Qihoo 360
Autorun Protector
(disable autorun and immunize all HDDs) and McShield

Create a Limited User Account (User or Power User) account for regular use. Run as Admin only when installing drivers or programs. Make sure Administrator (and rename it) has a password

Runtimes: DirectX, .NET Framework 3.5, 4, 4.5, VC++ Redistributable 2005, 2008, 2010

If he needs a graphic Editing Program Photoshop CS2 is already public domain

For on demand scanning, use MBAM

Reactions: vrb93

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
You can try Xvirus personal guard for second layer of protection.

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Avast free is not for commercial use :(
360 IS/TS are useable?
or, should i use Xvirus or NanoAV? We can't compare them to other free AVs or suites, but i have to choice...

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Avast free is not for commercial use :(
360 IS/TS are useable?
or, should i use Xvirus or NanoAV? We can't compare them to other free AVs or suites, but i have to choice...

I already mentioned such AVs,

You may use Comodo..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both Chrome and Firefox, have their own modern PDF readers for simple viewing, saving and printing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would suggest upgrading to Win 7 SP1.Probably is a more important move than adding an AV in terms of security.Win 7 genuine activation is not really a problem ;) I would suggest CIS or Avast with windows firewall.Thanks for sharing this :) It should really bring some interesting discussion

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
So, i configured this PC setup as following:

Immunet Free as real time AV (clamAV on) - @Anupam
Libreoffice - @WinXPert
Sumatra PDF - @Killer_Virus
Windows Firewall - MPC-HC - 7zip - Bullzip PDF printer - 360browser with in-built adblock

No Adobe Reader, no Firefox (PC too slow and unusable :confused:) or Chrome (didn't install, requisites not satisfied o_O).

I tried to 'save' this PC this way, its user didn't want to spend money on this machine and was going to not use it anymore (@Huracan).
With this config it's still useable for its simple and basic needs, although WinXP vulnerabilities and basic security software installed. But I trust him, he's not a happy-clicker and knows "what to not do". :)

PS. forgotten to show you hardware specs : AMD sempron 1ghz + 1 gb ram DDR2
Others OS than WinXP would have been unusable IMO... except most of linux distros (@Umbra Polaris)

Thanks to all of you for your advices friends! ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.