Adware, PUPS and how the method of infection could be more dangerous then we think.

finisnothere

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have got something on my mind, Go onto a regular family computer, no doubt they will have iLivid, Babylon or some other generic adware. You don't need to wonder where it came from, because you know it came from an installer, or an ad, and all the people I know that have asked me for help told me "it's not my fault". These are the people who click on adchoice ads which say download now, these are the people who when they click them, they install the software despite being completely unrelated to what they were actually looking for. These are the people who just press next and accept. Honestly, I don't blame them, ads and installers are deceptive, and I don't really care about that.

But what if someone could do this with dangerous malware? Put a rogue av in one of those download/play adverts, and instead of scaring them, saying the computer is infected, just say (like ilivid) 'your download is ready'. So many people fall for the pup/adware ones, so they're bound to fall for one of these, I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, but you could just stick a rogue anti virus or a root kit under one of those.

My final message is: Be more careful about what you click on, and look at what you're clicking on, because it's probably not what you want.

Thanks for listening

FlimFlam

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
You can always install "Unchecky". It will uncheck those crappy additional/extra boxes that some overlook or think nothing of when installing software. Here's the site. http://unchecky.com/

finisnothere

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2014
You can always install "Unchecky". It will uncheck those crappy additional/extra boxes that some overlook or think nothing of when installing software. Here's the site. http://unchecky.com/

I've never had a problem, it's just a philosophy, and I install Unchecky on all the people I help's computers, but it's just a thought and an idea, not reporting a problem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.