Advice Request Airlines track us and increase fare?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Airlines track us and increase fare prices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberfort

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2017
Do airline companies track us by IP & cookies
Leading to increase in price?

Many times i have seen a sudden increase in price of airlines tickets

Click on "book" and bam "airlines have increased price for this route"

Search a while on different sites for cheaper flights and then suddenly the cheapest flight's price increases unexpectedly high

Are they really tracking and increasing prices by using some analytics or
Is it just my misconception?

Reactions: Fritz and frogboy

cyberfort

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2017
It's called dynamic pricing or price discrimination:
Cookie monsters: why your browsing history could mean rip-off prices | Arwa Mahdawi

TL;DR: Airlines inflate/deflate their prices based on factors such as your birthday, address, marital status, nationality and travel history.

1.But how was the price still dynamic when i used other desktop in office !

2. And next i used a privacy browser + vpn (other country ip) + gps off, still the price was personalized !!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
1.But how was the price still dynamic when i used other desktop in office !

2. And next i used a privacy browser + vpn (other country ip) + gps off, still the price was personalized !!
I couldn't tell you. They tend to keep the whole thing very hush-hush to avoid any opposition to the idea.

Reactions: jadinolf

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Really its a privacy breach... They somehow track us
You're always being tracked on the internet.
Advertisers and publishers track you across the web and build profiles about you to help them target their advertising based on these factors:
race, economic status, sex, age, location, level of education, income level, employment, values, personality, attitudes, opinions, lifestyles, interests, browser history, purchase history, and other activity.
Governments collect and store masses of information about their citizens claiming it's necessary to help fight terrorism, prevent social unrest and protect national security.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Do airline companies track us by IP & cookies
Leading to increase in price?

Many times i have seen a sudden increase in price of airlines tickets

Click on "book" and bam "airlines have increased price for this route"

Search a while on different sites for cheaper flights and then suddenly the cheapest flight's price increases unexpectedly high

Are they really tracking and increasing prices by using some analytics or
Is it just my misconception?
You have to take into account the fact that if (For example) you check a price on May 1st for May 31st, it won't be the same when you check it again on May 25th for May 31st. Tickets booked with more time will be cheaper always...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.