Aiyun's Start-up Configuration

aiyun

Thread author
Aug 12, 2016
Prior to this set-up, I had only CIS (custom setting) with Shadow Defender and Sandboxie for real-time protection. For this I give credit to one of the gurus in the community from whose brilliant article I got this effective combo. Hope to go back to that combo once CIS is able to run OK with windows 10 AU.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
nice config , thanks for the share! the only thing I would like to add , or to say it better disable is either trafficlight or avira browser safety. no need to have to steering wheels ; it will only slow down your browsing experience! besides that , ublock origin also has options to block malicious site. in advanced settings you can ad malware domain filters. if you like you can install a 3rd party backup program , just to be safe & sure , like aomei backupper standard or macrium reflect! both are excellent choices and free versions are available!

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall,and have for over 4 years...I really like it.:)
My personal settings for it are:
Public/Trusted Zone security=High.---ARP protection=On.---Hosts File= locked.---Zone for new networks=Ask.---Ipv6=Disabled.---Network Firewall=Max.---DefenseNet=Auto.---All OS Firewall Settings=Ask.---Some M$ services blocked in App Control program list.
Zonealarm.com

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
definitely copy your personal settings @Logethica. Just asking your choice for an antivirus to partner with zonealarm freeFW if any? thank you.
Well I personally use Avast Free, but as you know, there is a great deal more choice when it comes to an Antivirus than there is with Firewalls...
Many here at MalwareTips (myself Included) would suggest to pay little attention to the results of "signature based" Antivirus test results,and more attention to the HIPS/Behaviour Blocking capabilities of it.
The other members here could give you probably 15 good Antivirus choices to pick from..:)

Nice config @aiyun! Thanks!

@Logethica I might try ZoneAlarm later, thanks for sharing your personal settings. :)
You are welcome @King Mellow ,thank you:)

aiyun

Thread author
Aug 12, 2016
Well I personally use Avast Free, but as you know, there is a great deal more choice when it comes to an Antivirus than there is with Firewalls...
Many here at MalwareTips (myself Included) would suggest to pay little attention to the results of "signature based" Antivirus test results,and more attention to the HIPS/Behaviour Blocking capabilities of it.
The other members here could give you probably 15 good Antivirus choices to pick from..:)

Can't agree more. That's why the need perhaps for comodo firewall and privatefirewall comes to mind, except that comodo has issues and pfw has been stalled. Hope Zonealarm freefW is not heavy on resources.

You should enable Smartscreen in Windows 10. Why not utilize the file reputation built into the OS?

I just did. Thanks for reminding.

@King Mellow , I appreciate and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Can't agree more. That's why the need perhaps for comodo firewall and privatefirewall comes to mind, except that comodo has issues and pfw has been stalled. Hope Zonealarm freefW is not heavy on resources.
I haven't personally found ZoneAlarm to be heavy...
My laptop is ASUS X58L / Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz / Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00GB....
and I am running Avast! Free Antivirus / VoodooShield Pro BETA / Sandboxie Free / Crystal Security / SpyShelter Premium (Giveaway) / Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free / Glasswire Free ..alongside ZoneAlarm Free.
I have also removed all M$ "Metro Apps" and have "Killed" numerous M$ services ,which also helps a great deal IMO:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Your configuration is fine, classic combination at all.

Although having two extensions (Trafficlight and Avira Browser Safety) does not help a lot, better go to ABS instead.

Reactions: Logethica and aiyun

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.