Troubleshoot All of my external hard disk files become .lnk after getting some autorun virus

datenshi07

Thread author
Feb 15, 2013
Okay. So I brought my external hard disk (1TB) for my school files. I had to get my files from there, so I plugged 'em to the school/lab computer. By that time, I didn't noticed any problem until I got home and plugged my external hard disk to my PC.

All of my files are compressed into one single .lnk file with the name of my hard disk. I couldn't open it either. I already scanned with Avira and USB Disk Security, but they only found the autorun virus. After scanning, I checked my infected hard disk with Winrar. I only found; System Volume Information, desktop.ini, Thumbs.db, ~$WKM.USBDrv, TAPIOCA(932GB).lnk(tapioca is the name of my hard disk).

As far as I know, .lnk is a shortcut file, so I thought that there's a original file location. So I right clicked the .lnk file and it directed me to a single file which is named as "rundll32.exe" inside the folder system32 in my local disk.

Is there a way to recover my files without formatting my external disk?(My friend got one also and she formatted her flash drive. And I don't want to do that.) All of my important files are there, and I want to get all of them safe. So, please PLEASE help me. I'm begging you guys, I don't wanna lose those precious and important files. I don't have any back-ups in my PC.

BTW, my PC is Windows7 32-bit and school PC is Windows7 64-bit. And also, my 4GB flash disk is infected with same virus from same PC
[attachment=3587]

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    78.1 KB · Views: 865
  • Extras.Txt
    84.1 KB · Views: 799
  • OH GOD WHY.png
    OH GOD WHY.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 2,599

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

Goto Start > Computer > Organize > Folder and search option > View > Under Hidden file and folder, select show hidden files, folders and drives > Click Ok.

Then go back to the Computer interface and access the drives there, not through winrar. See if you can see your files.

Upvote 0

datenshi07

Thread author
Feb 15, 2013
I clicked the show option but still can't see my files.
[attachment=3589]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 2,423
Upvote 0

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Has the amount of free space changed after the infection? Do you remember what the virus name was that avira detected?

Upvote 0

datenshi07

Thread author
Feb 15, 2013
The free space hasn't changed at all. If it changed, I guess it's just a little. (I can't remember the exact amount of free space I had before I got the virus.) Avira detected autorun.inf

Upvote 0

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Click start > run > type CMD in the box and press Enter. In the Command Prompt, type:

attrib –h –r –s /s /d f:*.*

Then,

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

NOTE the spaces in between the dashes and the hyphens.

Reactions: Adhit Prakosho
Upvote 0

datenshi07

Thread author
Feb 15, 2013
Some files and folders appeared after I entered the commands in CMD. And from these files and folders, I found my files! Thank you so much! I couldn't express my gratitude through this, but thank you so much! BTW, what should I do with these extra folders? (Except for one folder with my files inside.) Can I just delete them like normal files?[attachment=3601]

Attachments

• thanks.png
    thanks.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,892
Upvote 0

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Good to hear :D

And it depends which file/folder you want to delete. Since we enabled all the hidden files on the drive, some files may be related to the HD

Upvote 0

inventordeepan

Oct 20, 2014
You're very welcome :)
hi fiery

i have usb in drive in drivr F:
so i used code

F:
attrib -h -r- s /s /d *.*

and i opened usb i some how deleted micro.vbs

wen i again try above code in cmd it pops out

access denied ,

now what i must do to recover micro.vbs and
remove shortcut virus

plse help asap

tahnk you, in advance mate .. :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.