Advice Request Alternative to Windows Search?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Hello all !! Im just discover " everything " a program to search in windows files, question is ... its is really works good for totally remplace the windows search option ( mean desactive complety ) what abouth disk writte/read ( got a SSD ) there are any other search option more viable maybe?. Thanks advanced waiting for some1 who have tried this or any other alternative.

Reactions: upnorth

Hollow

Level 3
Verified
Dec 29, 2018
Thanks i used this long time ago but to be real.. this cant found things like windows search mean accurate results ( ex: if i just want search for an mp3 it detec me hundreds of system files "like rares ones inside system 32" )
Yes it was but it is good replacement for me once now i'm happy with the windows search

Reactions: dJim

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello all !! Im just discover " everything " a program to search in windows files, question is ... its is really works good for totally remplace the windows search option ( mean desactive complety ) what abouth disk writte/read ( got a SSD ) there are any other search option more viable maybe?. Thanks advanced waiting for some1 who have tried this or any other alternative.
Windows Search can find text inside files. This is because of Windows Indexing.
"Everything" will find files quicker, but that is because it ignores the text inside the files.
So really, you need both.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
SSD these days are reliable and won't even die for atleast 5-6 years of rough usage w/o TRIM. They've progressed much far than 1st gen SSDs.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
SSD these days are reliable and won't even die for atleast 5-6 years of rough usage w/o TRIM. They've progressed much far than 1st gen SSDs.
Yes but my SSD actually had 4 years.. is fast enougth 600 mb/s and still 95 % good affter all these years. So uncounting that, as search ( programs and options from windows most ) these launchers prev mentioned for the others users will work well ? thats the dilema.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes but my SSD actually had 4 years.. is fast enougth 600 mb/s and still 95 % good affter all these years. So uncounting that, as search ( programs and options from windows most ) these launchers prev mentioned for the others users will work well ? thats the dilema.
They work very well. I use Everything if Win search doesn't work. Initial indexing might some extra MBs in writes but its safe.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yes but my SSD actually had 4 years.. is fast enougth 600 mb/s and still 95 % good affter all these years.
SSDs can last for decades and can last much longer than hard drives. The SMART data showing 95% life remaining after four years of use, is a good example of this and it shows that you don't have to worry about the amount of data written to your SSD.

Find a search program that you like, but don't worry about your SSD, as it should last for many more years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.