Android popup virus

Coyle

Thread author
Jul 19, 2016
Hi all,
It's my 1st time here :)
I hope this will help many.

I watch soccer matches via online streaming. Its free thats why..
Each time I watch, I get the pop up virus ad. I just press back and carry on. I do not click on the screen.

Is there a chance a malware could have gotten through to my phone?

Also are there android viruses out there or only malware?

Im also curious to know can a malware show people the sites I visit? Cause the soccer websites of course are illegal.
I do watch the bpl and recently euro 16...thats all...

Is there ever any cases of malware showing others what an individual does on his phone? It's a scary world for thise not good in technology.

I would really appreciate any help, as paranoia is getting the better of me recently.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Is there a chance a malware could have gotten through to my phone?
@Coyle
Yes there is, most sites that stream paid or cable TV content suffer these and other types of security risks.
I am sorry but I will not offer suggestions on how to best watch the
matches or any other cable or satellite content other than to say "subscribe to your local satellite or cable provider" to lessen your exposure to these types of sites as your taking serious risks by watching via streaming sites. As you mention it is illegal to watch most streamed subscription content offered by Cable and Satellite providers, it is a form of piracy, not only are you exposing your devices to malware infection & Identity theft, your running the risk of huge fines and legal penalties. In the end you can eliminate the security and legal risks by just doing the honorable thing and watch it by legal means, purchase a subscription like millions of others do to support the team and remove the shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coyle

Thread author
Jul 19, 2016
@Coyle
Yes there is, most sites that stream paid or cable TV content suffer these and other types of security risks.
I am sorry but I will not offer suggestions on how to best watch the
matches or any other cable or satellite content other than to say "subscribe to your local satellite or cable provider" to lessen your exposure to these types of sites as your taking serious risks by watching via streaming sites. As you mention it is illegal to watch most streamed subscription content offered by Cable and Satellite providers, it is a form of piracy, not only are you exposing your devices to malware infection & Identity theft, your running the risk of huge fines and legal penalties. In the end you can eliminate the security and legal risks by just doing the honorable thing and watch it by legal means, purchase a subscription like millions of others do to support the team and remove the shame.

Yes I would take that advice.
But could you kindly explain how a malware can get to my android without downloading anything?
Cause from research I found out that a phone can only be infected IF I download a malware.
Also are there android viruses?

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
There could be any number of things (code) embedded in the video your streaming or downloading.
What your asking requires a lengthy post, you need to understand how some types of infections occur
you are falsely under the impression that to get infected you need to click or approve in order for the malware to run or be executed and this is true for "some" malware
while many do not need your approval or "click" to run.
Read this -> New Android malware has already infected 10 million devices worldwide
There are various types or malware that only need for you to "show up" on an infected site or stream, they are waiting for and counting on people like you that "just have" to
watch that latest game or match illegally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coyle

Thread author
Jul 19, 2016
There could be any number of things (code) embedded in the video your streaming or downloading.
What your asking requires a lengthy post, you need to understand how some types of infections occur
you are falsely under the impression that to get infected you need to click or approve in order for the malware to run or be executed and this is true for "some" malware
while many do not need your approval or "click" to run.
Read this -> New Android malware has already infected 10 million devices worldwide
There are various types or malware that only need for you to "show up" on an infected site or stream, they are waiting for and counting on people like you that "just have" to
watch that latest game or match illegally.
People like me? Hmm...
im here to know if streaming is can infect my device. Thats all.. There is no need to categorize me..
Do learn some online courtesy.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am only being honest, dont take offense, you admittedly put
yourself within that category. If you dont like the stigma my friend
stop being a criminal, lets be honest what you do is illegal, just the fact that i am willing to talk to you
is being rather nice seeing this is a security based website, we spend our time avoiding the online criminal element so get your feelings off of your sleeve my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Coyle ..
"Live" streaming is potentially dangerous on any site as it uses Flash,which is known for its vulnerabilities..these vulnerabilities are more likely to be exploited on an illegal site because the site can be replaced at the drop of a hat,whereas legitimate sites rely on a good reputation as they may lose the contract to provide legal streaming without it.
You do not need to "deliberately" download something in order to be infected...
Just the clicking of a link/player/button can prompt a redirect to a malicious webpage or trigger a malicious download,and doing so on an android is far more dangerous than a PC.

Upvote 0

Coyle

Thread author
Jul 19, 2016
@Coyle ..
"Live" streaming is potentially dangerous on any site as it uses Flash,which is known for its vulnerabilities..these vulnerabilities are more likely to be exploited on an illegal site because the site can be replaced at the drop of a hat,whereas legitimate sites rely on a good reputation as they may lose the contract to provide legal streaming without it.
You do not need to "deliberately" download something in order to be infected...
Just the clicking of a link/player/button can prompt a redirect to a malicious webpage or trigger a malicious download,and doing so on an android is far more dangerous than a PC.
Thanks for the info Log.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.