App Review Antivirus Tierlist: Best Antivirus in 2021 (The PC Security Channel)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Looking forward to your comments.
A small error on one of the AVs engines, other then that, it's just a personal list that for some viewers is dead wrong and for others right up their experience.

Thanks for the share @CyberPanther and you can if you like, always add the Youtube link directly inside the post. (y):coffee:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A small error on one of the AVs engines, other then that, it's just a personal list that for some viewers is dead wrong and for others right up their experience.

Thanks for the share @CyberPanther and you can if you like, always add the Youtube link directly inside the post. (y):coffee:
That error was with F-Secure using Bitdefender, but F-Secure uses Avira for quite some time now.
For those who don't want to watch the video here is his personal list:
Schermafbeelding 2021-12-12 110904.jpg

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Not because of John McAfee because I think he's a great meme
Looks like the so-called cybersecurity expert doesn't even know that John McAfee is no more.
And F-Secure has been using Avira's engine since 2019 I think. So it's not a recent thing, but Mr. Leo doesn't know that yet.
As I said before, this guy doesn't properly research the product he tests.
Besides the fact that I don't agree with most of his rankings, here.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Norton and AVAST , I would put them in the A, I don't know if I would put Kaspersky on S, since in several tests I have seen Avast outperform Kaspersky. I think I would not put any of them in the S, that's my opinion, because all av have pros and cons. Even though I hate WD, I would put it on B. I think Norton, Avast, Bitdefender and Kaspersky are at the same level of protection, one fails one hits another, in different tests. I think those are the 4 best av on the market.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I would get similar results by using Astrology.:)

Edit.
From Leo's comments, it follows that his preferences are based greatly on offline protection. On this assumption, his list makes some sense. Of course, even with this assumption, the locations of the products in the Decent - Excellent categories are purely personal preferences.

Only the position of Defender could be justified if one values much the offline protection, and this can be concluded from PC Channel tests (and professional AV Lab tests). Using PC Channel results to differ between other AVs is similar to using Astrology.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I don't really agree with the position of the AVs.
Eset is better than Sophos, and Mawarebytes, Eset should be on par with Kaspersky.
I only agree with Kaspersky's position.
I think that after collecting many opinions of MT members we will get a totally random position of many AVs.:)(y)

Anyway, here is my proposition:
  1. Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Norton (commercial versions)
  2. Avast/AVG, Microsoft Defender (free versions)
I am not sure about Malwarebytes, Sophos, Avira, and Mc Afee.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
How does it make sense to compare free vs paid. I don't think they should be mixed, especially if the companies offer free and paid versions, and you talk about the paid version of one and the free version of the other.
The AVs were chosen by Leo.(y)
Anyway, the free and commercial versions can be compared under some conditions:
  1. They are used by home users.
  2. They are tested in the home environment (Consumer tests).
  3. They are tested against threats that could attack home users (Real World tests).
The professional AV Labs pay attention to the above conditions. I am afraid that this is not true for PC Chanell tests (points 2 and 3 are obviously violated).

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I looked closely at the results of Kaspersky in PC Channel malware tests. It was tested several times from the year 2018 (over 10000 samples) and got perfect 100% protection.
This fact and several testing methodology issues make all these tests unreliable as protection tests.
As I posted before, these tests are still interesting as demonstration tests.

None of the AV testing Labs was even close to this perfection (which is expected and reliable), and despite this Kaspersky was (deservedly) awarded as a top product many times.(y)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.