Troubleshoot ANY Linux (Live) installations don't work at all

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Nope, still dead. The USB/CD/DVD Live system/installation will not boot on this machine at all.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Made installations with Linux variants (OpenSUSE, Debian Wheezy and Sid, Ubuntu, Red Hat) on all available media (SanDisk 16GB, generic dollar store 4GB USB, CD on 1x~52x, DVD on 1x~8x, CD-RW, DVD-RW), flashed BIOS with default setting on second BIOS, scanned for hardware faults, tried Failsafe, tried Recovery Mode, tried DOS, tried VGA mode, installed them on HDD, but still nothing. Strangely all of media works perfectly fine on any other machine except for those with NVIDIA GT7xx cards.
Please help, I can't use Kali because of this annoying problem.
It happens with ALL Linux flavors, including Ubuntu (screen corrupts then freezes on main screen).

p.s. Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Reactions: MalwareT
I

illumination

Please help, I can't use Kali because of this annoying problem.
It happens with ALL Linux flavors, including Ubuntu (screen corrupts then freezes on main screen).

p.s. Please let me know if any more information is needed.
What are full system specs? CPU,GPU,ect.... What are you using to burn the ISO with and to what DVD or Flash Drive..

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
What are full system specs? CPU,GPU,ect.... What are you using to burn the ISO with and to what DVD or Flash Drive..

MB: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

CD/DVD burned using Free ISO Burner
USB created with Linux Live USB Creator 1.3.x (unsure since it got uninstalled during migration)

Upvote 0
I

illumination

MB: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

CD/DVD burned using Free ISO Burner
USB created with Linux Live USB Creator 1.3.x (unsure since it got uninstalled during migration)
I have only seen this one other time, and it happened at my house, with my girlfriends desktop which had a Nvidia card in it, i removed the card and forced the integrated intel to run, and it took off like a champ. Try going into the BIOS and see if you can switch over to the integrated graphics and see if they will boot.. I have just read there are a couple bugs between different desktop environments and this particular card.

Reactions: SkyboundSteven
Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
I have only seen this one other time, and it happened at my house, with my girlfriends desktop which had a Nvidia card in it, i removed the card and forced the integrated intel to run, and it took off like a champ. Try going into the BIOS and see if you can switch over to the integrated graphics and see if they will boot.. I have just read there are a couple bugs between different desktop environments and this particular card.
Yep, it sorta worked, but sadly that caused UE4 SDK to fail to run after reverting settings back to default. (I don't know why...duh)

Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Oh, and incompatibily of GTX7xx card with Linux was the reason Linus (who made Linux) gave NVIDIA "the Bird".
All cards under GT(X)7xx series work OK, and I don't get it!

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Oh, and incompatibily of GTX7xx card with Linux was the reason Linus (who made Linux) gave NVIDIA "the Bird".
All cards under GT(X)7xx series work OK, and I don't get it!
I have seen that video of him talking to the students, and waving to Nvidia with that particular finger lol..
It is a problem for users with Nvidia cards and trying to use Linux for sure.. I personally would either try a system with AMD/ATI or intel HD graphics for Linux way before trying Nvidia.. As mentioned above, i literally took the card out of my GF's system, as she wanted to run Linux, and it was an older Nvidia card that would not even allow me to boot a Live CD.. It has been running for months now with just the integrated intel, and works fine..

Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
I have seen that video of him talking to the students, and waving to Nvidia with that particular finger lol..
It is a problem for users with Nvidia cards and trying to use Linux for sure.. I personally would either try a system with AMD/ATI or intel HD graphics for Linux way before trying Nvidia.. As mentioned above, i literally took the card out of my GF's system, as she wanted to run Linux, and it was an older Nvidia card that would not even allow me to boot a Live CD.. It has been running for months now with just the integrated intel, and works fine..
So I will have to salvage an older workstation for the work. Which is a shame because my keyboard and mouse collection was wiped by my parent's pressure a while ago, and I need them back.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.