Any modern tests on browsers?

Which browser is the fastest and most responsive while having the best battery life (w/ adblocking)?

• Chrome

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Opera

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Firefox

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Palemoon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vivaldi

• Edge

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Cyberfox

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Slimjet

• Cent

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Are there any modern tests on browsers that compare resource usage, startup, loading speed, battery life and not just benchmarks which I don't know the practicality of? Also, comparison of browsers with adblockers to see if Opera with built-in adblock would perform better than other Chromium-based browsers with extensions for example. Maybe tell your experience. Something empirical would be encouraged.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
It does not exist a browser that is better than the other IMO. Now, all the web navigation programs are fast, reasonably secure and customizable via extensions, then the choice of one or the other one depends entirely on your tastes and your personal needs, from the devices that you use and your browsing habits.

I use Chrome and Firefox but lately I'm definitely switching to Chorme.

Chrome is one of the most complete. It is very fast in startup and loading web pages, it has multi-user support. With the multi-users you can configure multiple accounts on the same PC, each of them with their own preferences, their own extensions etc.

• PROS: very high speed in startup and loading web pages, maximum compatibility with all the latest web standards, lots of extensions, private mode, data synchronization, online, cross-platform compatibility, address bar with many functions and very easy to use, etc.
  • CONS: excessive consumption of resources (RAM/battery), and collection of data by Google.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
most responsive: any chrome-based x64 browsers, preferebly google chrome, slimjet. Maybe Cent but not tested
Best battery life: opera or IE
adblocking: all are not good or very basic and bad. Recommend installing ublock origin

I'm using Slimjet x64 portable with browser cache placed in Ramdrive
- has a built-in download accelerator
- can prevent WebRTC leakage
- many useful features
- extremely low ram usage compare to chrome -> potentially better battery life due to less mem. usage -> less pagefile usage -> less disk activity
- also has an adblocker but it sucks

firefox-based browsers are far less responsive compared to chrome-based but a bit better battery life and many great extensions

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft claims Edge provides better Battery life over Chrome, however, Google claims to have improved Battery usage on for Chrome.

Using More Extensions = More Resources = Higher Battery life impact.

In my opinion, for a fair and level test all browsers must use the identical ad-blocker filters and extensions.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Chrome is more responsive, however Firefox gives you better battery life, and better privacy.
In terms of adblocking, in both, you can get very light addons for that such as uBlock Origin. Works really really fine.
I also tried Opera's built-in adbloker, and works very fine too. I'm a Firefox user.

Reactions: Svoll and tim one

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Startup is negligible. Loading depends on technologies. Truth is that nowadays browsers are fast and secure. Privacy is arguable.
You should realize that when you gain something you lose something else. Applications that use less CPU, rely on disk more. There's always a trade off. It also depends on what you are doing : reading, gaming, ...

The only similar site that I like and discovered it on Comodo forums is :
open web games

You could easily make some graphs with benchmarks though..

Reactions: Svoll and Oxygen

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Zero problems with Edge. I don't use an adblocker on either browser and other than going on Wiki sites. Edge is pretty reliable. :)

Reactions: Varok

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
MAC point of view, fastest and best battery life has been Safari on my macbook. The lack of extensions such are a bummer, I miss noscript the most, but overall I was able to get about 10 hours using the default browser on MAC, Tried firefox, chrome, Vavaldi, and Opera, and was able to get around 8 hours.

As for PC, Since I am using it on a desktop, can't comment on battery life, I find Cyberfox the most responsive for my desktop. Ran peacekeeper benchmarks and other benchmarks online between different browsers and visiting my favorite sites, Cyberfox wins out. One great perk of it is that you are able to use all extensions of FF and supposely "Removed features (Telemetry, Healthreport, sponsored tiles And other components that collected information".

Good Luck on your search for a browser that fits your notebook and config!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
a few tips to improve battery life and speed of browser, especially chrome-based browsers:
- put cache into ramdrive (512Mb should be enough) -> less disk usage + faster page loading = better battery life
- install h264ify for chrome and firefox-based browsers -> significantly reduces CPU usage on youtube videos (VP9 -> h264, which supports hardware acceleration)
- try to find the extensions which cause battery drain: create a bookmark folder contains ~20 different pages -> open chrome built-in task manager or in firefox about:performance -> right click and open all pages from the bookmark folder at the same time -> look at the task manager and see which extension uses the most CPU
- use a good adblocker like ublock origin with some recommended filterlists
- the extension: animation policy -> may help
- the great suspender may help if you use a lot of tabs
- use some about:flags tweaks (Override software rendering list, Fast tab/window close, GPU rasterization, Simple Cache for HTTP, Number of raster threads -> 4, Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown, Enable AppContainer Lockdown,...)
- disable useless plugins: Native Client, Widevine Content Decryption Module, and maybe flash if you don't use

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Startup is negligible. Loading depends on technologies. Truth is that nowadays browsers are fast and secure. Privacy is arguable.
You should realize that when you gain something you lose something else. Applications that use less CPU, rely on disk more. There's always a trade off. It also depends on what you are doing : reading, gaming, ...

The only similar site that I like and discovered it on Comodo forums is :
open web games

You could easily make some graphs with benchmarks though..
Do you have examples on the inverse relationship in browsers?

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
(Firefox) Nightly is the best I've come across for me, but it can be completely different from person-to-person. The best way to find out what works best for you and your machine is to test them out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.