Anyone know of any "SAFE" audio video converter software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Spelled Audio wrong in the title maybe an admin can help with that LoL sorry was posting off of my phone :D

So far the audio video converter software I've come across is PuP riddled or outright has malware in it. Does anyone know of software that is safe that they've tested themselves when it comes to converting audio/video into different formats? My Pops is is an audiophile and he loves messing around with audio video. I just need simple malware free software that does the job with conversions... I was about to install windows 7 for him so I can run rogue software sandboxed but hopefully someone knows some good SW I can install for him?

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah i've downloaded a few and ran through virustotal and they all come back dirty. The ones I've tested so far anyway. I'll give these three a go... See what happens. So these three are strictly all online converters I see. I think he was looking for installed software which seems extremely had to find for whatever reason. At least software that is clean.

Reactions: Smith83

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If I recall correctly there are free versions in Linux. If u find them then just install a vm with a basic Linux Ubuntu would do. Handbrake I think works on windows too. Handbrake is a multithreaded video transcoder.

For Linux only winff which is the ffmpeg gui version

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Right now I have him using slimjet protected with appguard. Which does work so far with the settings I have setup for him. He keeps getting malware so appguard is something he desperately needs on lockdown mode. I basically take care of his computer b/c he has no idea what he's doing this is the third time in the past 6 months I've had to disinfect his comp... Kind of getting to be a PITA lol. Trying to teach him on how to keep his machine safe but he's retired and well you know how it goes ;)

Thankyou so much for the input guys much appreciated I'm not really into audio video myself, I do PS and AE gfx design so never really dove into converters: I use adobe media encoder for my needs, but he's all about converting his old records and what not into digital media as well as downloading youtube videos and converting them. Thanks again and if anyone else has more input please feel free to drop more suggestions going to have him try x media recode. And Ill set him up an ubuntu vm tomorrow when I'm over my parents house. He was using a youtube downloader infested with malware lol. As you can imagine my frustration b/c I just cleaned the machine a month ago or so :p

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I am looking for something like mp3 to midi. XD

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Macroplant Adapter : Convert Images. audio, video, editing , time lapse and many more features:
Code:
https://www.macroplant.com/adapter/

X-media recode
Code:
http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/

Winnydows Home (fully portable) , No components or installation required, supports almost any format.
Code:
http://winnydows.com/en/about/

Tencoder : 64 -bit multithreaded video and audio converter that uses MEncoder, MPlayer and FFMpeg.
Code:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/

All these are free, regularly updated and do not come with PUPs.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Freemake software is bundled with adwares

Users are advised to pay attention while installing Freemake Audio Converter for the following reasons:
  • Offers to download or install software or components (Facemoods toolbar) that the program does not require to fully function
  • Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
  • Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Freemake software is bundled with adwares

Users are advised to pay attention while installing Freemake Audio Converter for the following reasons:
  • Offers to download or install software or components (Facemoods toolbar) that the program does not require to fully function
  • Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
  • Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system

Yes, forgot to tell about it. I uncheck those...
But freemake is good software, based my experience

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.