Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
OpenOffice.org is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers.

Great software

OpenOffice.org is the result of over twenty years' software engineering. Designed from the start as a single piece of software, it has a consistency other products cannot match. A completely open development process means that anyone can report bugs, request new features, or enhance the software.

Easy to use

OpenOffice.org is easy to learn, and if you're already using another office software package, you'll take to OpenOffice.org straight away. Our world-wide native-language community means that OpenOffice.org is probably available and supported in your own language.

... And it's free

Best of all, OpenOffice.org can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees. OpenOffice.org is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration.

Note: As of April 2011, commercial development of OpenOffice.org project has been terminated. The code was contributed to the Apache Software Foundation, where volunteers continue to develop it. LibreOffice, a fork of OpenOffice is now available for download here.

Change Log - Link.

# New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
* Finnish
* British English
* Khmer
* Slovak
* Slovenian
# Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
* Dutch
* Spanish
* Italian
* Hungarian
# Important bug fixes have been made in these areas:
* "quickstarter" problems
* extension cleanup
* auto update check now re-enabled by default
* "undo" issues in Calc
* "redo" issues in Calc
* "freeze" problem with Calc and Writer when LanguageTool is installed
* non-detection of java. "Oracle" as a java provider was added to aid in JVM identification. Previously, the vendor was Sun.
# Performance Improvements/Enhancements
* Cleanup of temporary areas used by extensions installations. This will reduce the per-user disk footprint for multi-user installations.
* Keeping only one English dictionary for US-en installations instead of 5. This will save user space. Users will be able to add other English dictionaries (Canadian, Australian, New Zealand) as desired
* Hunspell library upgraded to version 1.3.2 from 1.2.9. This version contains several improvements especially for Dutch, German and other Germanic languages with extended compound word usage.
# Microsoft Windows 8 Compatibility
* With this release we have tested with Windows 8. So far it looks good. We are in the process of going through the official Windows 8 Certification checklist and some minor issues still remain.

302__openOffice1.png

Download.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
McLovin said:
OpenOffice.org is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.

I think they lost their lead back in 2010 when Oracle bought Sun Microsystems and couldn't figure out what to do with Open Office, so they dropped development. :p

I'll maybe believe such a statement if all of the Linux distros that switched to Libre Office in their bundles because OO was no longer being developed, switch back now that Apache has the reigns.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Never have really used OpenOffice, but if it's free it can't be that bad.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
No, it's not bad. I used to use it all the time. I just switched to Libre Office when development on OO stopped, and currently don't see a reason to go back. Currently Libre is close to two years ahead of OO development-wise.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
My old school use to use this on all their computers probably for a good free alternative, but i think ill stick with my microsoft office since i get it free from college :D lol

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
imsoadude said:
My old school use to use this on all their computers probably for a good free alternative, but i think ill stick with my microsoft office since i get it free from college :D lol

Now, a days that's what most companies use, which is what I use :D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
In a corporate environment, M$ Office is the smart choice because you are pretty much guaranteed complete compatibility.

It is pricey though, which is why I use Libre at home. I would obviously use M$ Office if I could get it for free. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.