Apex Legends: 355,000+ PC Players banned for Cheating

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As of today we’ve banned over 355K players on PC through Easy-Anti-Cheat. The service works but the fight against cheaters is an ongoing war that we’ll need to continue to adapt to and be very vigilant about fighting. We take cheating very seriously and care deeply about the health of Apex Legends for all players.

We are working on improvements to combat cheaters and we’re going to have to be pretty secretive about our plans. Cheaters are crafty and we don’t want them to see us coming. With that said, we can share some high levels things we’re doing:
  • We are reaching out and working directly with experts, both within and outside of EA, in this area that we can learn from.
  • Scaling up our anti-cheat team so we have more dedicated resources.
  • We are adding a report feature on PC to report cheaters in game that goes directly to Easy-Anti-Cheat.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
cheaters are a plague in every online multiplayer game. The platform of games (steam, origin,etc.) should more punish these players.
a temporary VAC-Ban is not enough. a permanent exclusion coupled with the IP-adress of this player could help against this misbehavior :devil:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Glad they try to fight cheaters. I play Leauge of Legend, the only thing u can do there is "scripting" because its almost all serverside and all encrypted and regulary changing. One reason i do not play much shooters. Cheats there are way to annyoing and powerfull, with aimbot, jump, invisilbe, wallhack, speedhack and so on. Way to annoying to handle these cheaters. i better play some mmoba/rolegames with some scripters or botters that doesnt bother me much.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

355K is a drop in the bucket. I would guess 15%+ of the entire player base is cheating in that game now. Easy Anti-Cheat is pretty lame to begin with.

The golden rule for me with MP shooters.. I have 2, 3, MAYBE 4-6 weeks and I am done. After that point they are usually filled with rampant cheaters/exploiters/griefers. As a result, I rarely buy MP shooters any longer because of this as I inevitably become burned and feel like I wasted my money. 2-3 weeks of solid play is not worth $50 for most games.

Especially stuff like The Division where they didn't even block cheat engine use and half the people you ran into in the dark zone were flat out cheating.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
cheaters are a plague in every online multiplayer game. The platform of games (steam, origin,etc.) should more punish these players.
a temporary VAC-Ban is not enough. a permanent exclusion coupled with the IP-adress of this player could help against this misbehavior :devil:

There no such thing as "temporary VAC ban" @ steam. Upon further investigation (very long), you have a game ban which is either a) Minorly Disruptive (30 days, Griefing) or b) Majorly Disruptive (Permanent, Cheating). And in some country most ISP use Dynamic IP addresses
And i agree, permanent ban should be punishment for cheater

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

There no such thing as "temporary VAC ban" @ steam. Upon further investigation (very long), you have a game ban which is either a) Minorly Disruptive (30 days, Griefing) or b) Majorly Disruptive (Permanent, Cheating). And in some country most ISP use Dynamic IP addresses
And i agree, permanent ban should be punishment for cheater

VAC Bans are... Brutal. My son got VAC banned and he didn't even cheat. All he did was go to a cheat site and 'browse'. Upon investigation I found that Steam was utilizing the DNS Client Cache on Windows and browsing domains users went to, and if they went to known hack sites, they VAC banned them. I can't get my son unbanned, regardless of who I contact and how much I appeal.

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
@ForgottenSeer 58943 i'm sorry for your son vac ban,.. you might want to post at steam forum about it.. VAC banned is only for cheat online multiplayer game, it's not suppose to ban when you visiting any hack site.

There is even and issue in the past i read about steam vac ban caused by ccleaner opened while playing csgo. So some background apps can trigger an issues. It's safer to close all program before starting any vac steam games.

And i agree VAC Bans are Brutal on steam,. some rules are stupid.. such as we can get vac ban if gifting a vac enabled games to a friend and turn out your friend cheating, you will get vac ban too.. that unfair,
when we gifting its mean just a gift, we not suppose to 100% sure that he/she wont cheat ever.

Btw I use cheat engine sometimes just for fun, but it's on solo game non multiplayer/non vac games.

Reactions: Andrew999

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
VAC Bans are... Brutal. My son got VAC banned and he didn't even cheat. All he did was go to a cheat site and 'browse'. Upon investigation I found that Steam was utilizing the DNS Client Cache on Windows and browsing domains users went to, and if they went to known hack sites, they VAC banned them. I can't get my son unbanned, regardless of who I contact and how much I appeal.

I am pretty sure he does have a cheat software on his PC. " I got VAC banned for no reason " is common thread in Steam community forum. Pretty much, all cheaters refuse to accept they cheated and got caught.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Too bad I have Fortisandbox and SIEM logs to show he doesn't/didn't. But Steam doesn't care.

Which is another reason why I dislike Steam, and actively avoid purchasing on it. (Epic, GOG, Uplay, Origin, anything else really.) It just adds to my dislike of Valve, and my cheerleading of the Epic Games store and their potential future purchase of Discord.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

I don't play games but how can you deny steam from browsing domains users went to?

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Verified
Apr 16, 2016

Wow, sorry to hear that. But there must be something you missed - according to this reddit post, Gabe personally said that just visiting cheat sites will NOT get you banned. That was 5 years ago though, so they might have changed something, but... I kinda can't see Valve doing that, it would halve the whole user base at the least...

Reactions: LoLs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.