Are Android apps safe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Thread author
May 25, 2014
Have you had problems with smartphone apps? Which ones have security risks? Which ones are safe?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Have you had problems with smartphone apps? Which ones have security risks? Which ones are safe?
Those who are downloaded from the Google Play Store are safe. I know that there were a few incidents with some app even from Google's official store, however generally speaking if you only download from there, you should be fine.
As always its recommended to go through the permission that an app is asking, and the reviews before installing it.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I downloaded many apps from google play store & some of apps are bundled with pup coz ESET alerted me. You can't even say that apps which u downloaded are infected with pup or not until u installed a good AV who is capable of detecting pup. Downloading apps only from google play store is safe, u won't catch malware but u can catch pup so having a light AV who is capable of detecting & removing pup is a good step.

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
I downloaded many apps from google play store & some of apps are bundled with pup coz ESET alerted me. You can't even say that apps which u downloaded are infected with pup or not until u installed a good AV who is capable of detecting pup. Downloading apps only from google play store is safe, u won't catch malware but u can catch pup so having a light AV who is capable of detecting & removing pup is a good step.
Me, bit agree to Koroke San
related to issue Android security loophole lets apps take and upload pics without you knowing, however
just take from your trusted site...details the source here and here just for your attention. My vote is FEW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Stick to the trusted and reputable ones and you should be OK.
1. Only get apps from the Google Play Store.
2. Check the Reviews from other users and Ratings.
3. Observe the required Permissions, if something does look right, question it.
4. Check the Publisher is legitimate and not a third-party version - they usually have Ads or hidden surprises.

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
You won't have any problems with Android apps installed from Google Play if you carefully inspect all the apps permissions, the number of downloads and the trustness of the developer.
Personally, I've never had any problems with Android apps. :)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
You won't have any problems with Android apps installed from Google Play if you carefully inspect all the apps permissions, the number of downloads and the trustness of the developer.
Personally, I've never had any problems with Android apps. :)
I'll do it as you did, hope won't get any problems:)

Reactions: Edward ST
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.