Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

rachman

Level 1
Verified
Mar 6, 2014
Are codecs worth using?
if you mean "codec pack", these days I'd say no... as now most of media player can play almost all video/audio format with subtitle. Better install them manually, like madVR for video renderer, etc.
do they cause more problems than solve like this article claims?
possibly yes

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Codecs are safe, if you download from a trusted and reliable source. However as a PC gaming noob, I have been told some codecs can conflict with some game files. :confused: That is one reason I downloaded VLC Media Player portable. I simply drag and drop a video file that Windows Media Player cannot handle (ie. .MVK or .MOV), on to the VLC Interface and the video will play.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
I use VLC Media Player and don't use or need any codecs. I also used to use Media Player Classic with ffdshow and had no problems. Also like Huracan said if you get them from a trusted website or source you should be fine.

Reactions: BoraMurdar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.