Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's the question.

I noticed this amongst users using top Internet Security suites, such as Comodo and Norton.

-

Basically, I want to know why?

-

Or do you think Internet Security suites are over-rated products?

(Btw, I'm using NIS2012 for 90 days only).

D

Deleted member 178

you want an answer? check my config ! paranoid style, never been infected :D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
That's the big question isn't it?

Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to answer.

It can be argued that since no security solution can be guaranteed to block 100% of the threats out there, no, an internet security suite isn't enough.

It can also be argued that if you are sensible about your computer usage, yes, an internet security suite is enough.

A layered security solution is definitely the way to go, so most internet security suites offer fairly adequate protection.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
There are so many Internet Security Suites out there that the answer can't be a definitive one.
Each suite comes with different technologies and different settings/sensitivity.Usually a suite that comes with a HIPS should give you a really high level of protection but there are some vendors who don't have a proper white list(Outpost) or the product isn't mature enough (ESS 5) so the final user will have to bare the consequences.
Of course a good behavior blocker like NIS and G-data have or being bundled with the latest auto-sand boxing techniques could also bring a high level of protection.

Norton Internet Security and COMODO Internet Security in my opinion are the leaders when it comes to the level of protection given to the user but suites like F-Secure or G-Data can compete with them in any test.

Are Internet Security Suites enough?
It depends on what internet security are you using but usually it's recommended to use all the prevention layers and not just the real-time one!!

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I do think that Internet Security Suites are enough, But I prefer free products put together for a locked down system. The only suites that are worth to use as of now are Comodo Internet Security, Avast Internet Security, Norton Internet Security and Kaspersky Internet Security, Other suites doesn't do good enough in my opinion.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
** edited:
In my opinion:
computer users in general will think.
using the most expensive security will be guaranteed safe it will handle all the viruses in the internet.
in addition, the security of the Internet has a firewall itself.
and looks complete, right?
however, it does NOT guarantee that it will eradicate virus and capable of detection viruses.
it's all depend on computer users.

D

Deleted member 178

win7 i really don't understand what you wrote :D , you should edit your post to be more understandable.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HeffeD said:
That's the big question isn't it?

Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to answer.

It sure is, that's why I removed the poll and let you all post freely.

But for those who do run security-products on top of their IS suites, it would be nice to know why.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some internet suites have lack some features like sandbox, cloud and etc.....

So on most cases internet suite and alongside with another third party software.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
But for those who do run security-products on top of their IS suites, it would be nice to know why.

I also run Hitman Pro and MBAM as on-demand scanners for when I want a second (and third?) opinion on something, and I'll sometimes send things to VirusTotal or Comodo's file verdict service. (Valkyrie) I've never had a problem, but it's never a good idea to be overconfident in your security suite. :blush:

Other than those, the only other security type application I'm running is Sandboxie. Not so much from the angle that I don't feel my security suite may drop the ball, but more because I just hate all the crap that browsers tend to accumulate during normal operation, (especially things like LSO's, Super Cookies, and Zombie Cookies) and having Sandboxie automatically delete all of the contents accumulated during a browsing session when I close the browser is the easiest way to basically start with a clean slate each time I open a browser.

I also like to use Sandboxie for test installations of new applications. Similar to the browser subject above, this is not so much for security reasons, but out of curiosity. It makes it very easy to see what changes an application will make to your system when it is installed. Just browse the sandbox contents and you can see each and every file that an application drops on your system. I don't however, use Sandboxie for long-term application testing though. I use a VM for that.

And, the fact isn't lost on me that Sandboxie adds another layer of protection on top of my security suite. :p

I also have a VM clone of my physical machine that ordinarily has a completely different security setup. (Which tends to change from time to time) Again, more for curiosities sake than anything. :p

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
Good Question but hard to give definitive answer... a decent 'Security Suite' offers good protection and 2 or 3 on demand scanners help (I us Mbam, Hitman and NPE)... but, still no guarantees...

A "BIGGIE" to consider is your online activities and habits... If one visits 'questionable sites', 'clicks a bunch' or 'downloads lots of stuff', the chance of being infected is increased considerably... Heck, even reputable sites pose a danger these days with browser expoits, redirects, etc.

I've always believed that the 'best security software exists between ones ears'... jmo

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
My opinion, I think it is necessary for every computer user to have, because if you get infected you can count on you AV, but it also comes down to personal choice on weather you want to run an AV or not.

D

Deleted member 178

if i can do a comparison:

the malware is the bullet, my security apps is my bulletproof jacket, my knowledge is my dodging reflexes and cover ability.

depend the bullet my bulletproof jacket may be not enough, and if i dont know where is the shooter, my knowledge cant allow me to cover or dodge.

it is why i need both.

luckily for me,if you check my config, i wear the Iron Man Suit :D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
the malware is the bullet, my security apps is my bulletproof jacket, my knowledge is my dodging reflexes and cover ability.

you are right, umbra.
the knowledge of malware and something like that is needed.

Luke[Dumke480]

Oct 28, 2011
McLovin said:
My opinion, I think it is necessary for every computer user to have, because if you get infected you can count on you AV, but it also comes down to personal choice on weather you want to run an AV or not.

your absolutely right,

i don't believe i need to run many or very strong av's as i know where i'm going what i download and what to follow when browsing the net, somethings just come from experience, so i'm pretty safe with just my avast safebrowse for browsing security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.