Advice Request Are you setting the RegKey manually or waiting?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are you setting the RegKey manually.

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, I'm waiting for my AV to update and set the key.

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
If you don't know, a lot of third party AV users are not getting the Meltdown and Specter Windows update/patch.

You have to have a certain Reg key set to get the update, because this update is critically incompatible with some AVs.

Some AVs have already updated and added the key to get the Windows update. Others are are currently in the process, and if they have confirmed compatibility they are directing users to go ahead and manually install the reg key to allow the Windows update. Here is a comprehensive list CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715, and CVE-2017-5754 (Meltdown and Spectre) Windows antivirus patch compatibility

This article explains it all How to Check and Update Windows Systems for the Meltdown and Spectre CPU Flaws

WARNING: Do not update unless you are sure your AV is compatible.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
If you don't know, a lot of third party AV users are not getting the Meltdown and Specter Windows update/patch.

You have to have a certain Reg key set to get the update, because this update is critically incompatible with some AVs.

Some AVs have already updated and added the key to get the Windows update. Others are are currently in the process, and if they have confirmed compatibility they are directing users to go ahead and manually install the reg key to allow the Windows update. Here is a comprehensive list CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715, and CVE-2017-5754 (Meltdown and Spectre) Windows antivirus patch compatibility

This article explains it all How to Check and Update Windows Systems for the Meltdown and Spectre CPU Flaws

WARNING: Do not update unless you are sure your AV is compatible.

If you a not confident, just leave it alone and let them patch it for you.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Emsisoft is updated but Windows Update still says that my device is up to date. Will AMD users get this update?

Screenshot_2.png

D

Deleted member 65228

Will AMD users get this update?
Yes. At system initialisation (which occurs at boot), checks are performed. Depending on these checks, a flag is set, and AMD systems get treated differently.

Such is not officially verified however I found this out manually by reverse engineering a bit of an updated ntoskrnl.exe, in undocumented start-up initialisation routines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Emsisoft is updated but Windows Update still says that my device is up to date. Will AMD users get this update?

View attachment 177484
I have a desktop running Avast (Intel) which is also still not getting the Windows update. Even though Avast is setting the key.

I'm not gonna manually download the update, I'm just gonna wait till it shows up on it's own.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.