Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
What a nice and lite config.
Good job, on my lite config in Windows I run Voodoo, and HMPA because of the browser, exploit, and keystroke protection,
with a dash of SBGuard thrown in for good measure.
But your choice is good too. Awesome share ;)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Everything is well intact.

Voodoshield definitely completes the overall protection base and you have already a backup program for such emergency.

Asunderbolt

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks everyone for taking their time to review my config. Since I posted it, I've been experimenting with two minor tweaks.

I'm using DuckDuckGo instead of Google as my search engine, for starters. I understand that the results may not be as comprehensive, but whichever engine I'm using is really a compliment to Opera's Speed Dial more than anything else. If I'm not satisfied, I can always just bring Google up with the shortcut key.

The other tweak is disabling Windows Defender in favor of Crystal Security. This is on a trial basis more so than DuckDuckGo. I'm basically trying to go as minimalist as possible without compromising security. I feel like Webroot would be an ideal companion piece, but I'm not willing to splurge on an anti-malware solution. I haven't noticed any issues so far, with the exception of a popup chain when Opera tried to update itself.

If you guys have any thoughts to share, they're more than welcomed.

Asunderbolt

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 19, 2016
I've made a few minor changes since my last post. The most significant of them would be the use of Firefox over Opera due to the apparent internal turmoil that the latter's going through. I've configured Firefox to open in private browsing mode, so that's exciting. I could have gone back to Chrome, but at the end of the day I'm looking for a balance of privacy and security rather than exclusively one or the other. I'm not in this to hide from the NSA, more so as a matter of principle.

What else? I'm using Wise Disk Cleaner instead of CCleaner since it seems more thorough. ShutUp10 has also made its way into the rotation. I haven't used it to disable SmartScreen or anything like that, but the telemetry and such I can do without. I run it after each Windows Update, since the process seems to modify those settings as one would expect.

Reactions: King Alpha

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.