AV-Comparatives Performance Test - May 2013

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Interactive Chart (Lower is Better):
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=5&sort=1

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Whoa there Kaspersky..... O_O

If you pay attention, There is something wrong with this test.....

Mark

Apr 22, 2011
Anything else wrong besides Kaspersky? Kaspersky also performs well in the latest AV-Test and Passmark tests.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
All AVs failed to load before malware loaded (on startup) except these - AVG, Bitdefender, eScan, Kingsoft, MSE, Sophos - thus, letting malware run.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Have anyone read this

http://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av-comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

Just don't beleive these tests...

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Please note guys, This is a performance test, This means computer usability like RAM and CPU usage and overall computer usability and impact. not how many Malware it catches.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
3link9 said:
Please note guys, This is a performance test, This means computer usability like RAM and CPU usage and overall computer usability and impact. not how many Malware it catches.

My quote was from the AV-Comparatives Performance article.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
PDF for May 2013

Seems surprisingly when the methodology looks different in dealing performances but again the importance is that will not conflict for our daily tasks.

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
I would not expect Kaspersky to get 2nd place. It does use a fair amount of resources.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Kaspersky 2nd place?!
Yeah right!:p

Z

ZeroDay

Kaspersky uses it a lot of ram but it feels lighter than most other vendors I've tried.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have not tried all of the products in this test but the ones that I have don't correspond with my findings.

The results for Kaspersky are very suspicious and so are the results for BitDefender. Both have a lower system impact than MSE??, yeah right.

Kapersky and BitDefender lower system impact than Emsisoft?? not from what I have found.

Fortinet has a lot of processes but is still has much lower impact than Kapersky and BitDefender. FortiClient Lite uses about the same as MSE.

Even more suspicion for Avira which seam to run the lightest on every system that I tried it on.

Most users who tried these products knows this test is not accurate.
I suspect Kaspersky and BitDefender paid they very well for this test.

Thanks.:D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Littlebits said:
I have not tried all of the products in this test but the ones that I have don't correspond with my findings.

The results for Kaspersky are very suspicious and so are the results for BitDefender. Both have a lower system impact than MSE??, yeah right.

Kapersky and BitDefender lower system impact than Emsisoft?? not from what I have found.

Fortinet has a lot of processes but is still has much lower impact than Kapersky and BitDefender. FortiClient Lite uses about the same as MSE.

Even more suspicion for Avira which seam to run the lightest on every system that I tried it on.

Most users who tried these products knows this test is not accurate.
I suspect Kaspersky and BitDefender paid they very well for this test.

Passmark has a really good benchmark system and it did review most AV's and personally i add great value to Passmarks findings as they are 9 out of 10 times spot on. Also they benchmark software for some testing labs as a independent contractor. So i got every reason to trust their findings.
So if you want to find out check here

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The main problem is that benchmark score, memory usage, number of processes and CPU may have nothing to do with system response time when you start a program, Windows Explorer, browsers, Windows boot time, etc.

My best example is ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall.

Uses a lot of memory compared to other security suites but doesn't slow down system response time as much as others like Avast, Avira, AVG, BitDefender, Kaspersky, etc.

Some users will only go by how much memory it uses and say it is heavy when it is actually very lite. If you have at least 1GB of RAM installed on your system, the memory usage is not important. What is important does it make your system run slow. Many security products may be lite on memory and CPU but still kill your system response time like Kaspersky, BitDefender and Comodo.

Therefore I believe benchmark tests do not tell you the truth about how a product will run on your system. They should test I/O reads if they want to do an accurate test.

Z

ZeroDay

Kaspersky is the same it uses a lot of ram but there's no impact on the system it's as light as a feather.

Edit: For me Kis feels lighter on my system than avast did, while using avast I'd feel a slow down when launching programmes. To me anyone who says Kis 2013 is heavy on the system clearly hasn't tested it for long enough. I have it running on 3 system and it runs light on them all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.