Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Popular security software company Avast is the latest overseas technology company to get caught in China’s censorship net after users began reporting that its service and website were blocked inside the country.

Data from GreatFire.org shows that Avast.com has been unavailable in China since Sunday. Users of Avast — which claims over 220 million global users of its antivirus and security products for Windows, Mac and Android — posted screenshots on Weibo, Avast’s forum and other sites showing issues.​

Perhaps by coincidence, a recent Reuters report claimed that overseas antivirus firms Symantec and Kaspersky Lab had been removed from a list of approved anti-virus software vendors for state organizations.

Update: “We can confirm that Avast is being blocked in China and that we are actively investigating the situation,” an Avast spokesperson told us."

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/02/avast-blocked-in-china/

Avast Forum: https://forum.avast.com/?topic=167092.0 - Antivirus cannot be updated in China (mainland)

D

Deleted member 21043

I really don't see why China are blocking Avast. While, I do not know the reason, I will assume it's because they want to promote the Chinese Antiviruses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blackhawk

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
Since, they want to just block things (without giving a proper, valid reason, as to why, it would appear), I would laugh if the whole of the Chinese government became infected with malware which spread itself through the entire network and literally, destroyed it... With no way for them to revert. Then, the thing that would make me laugh, is if Avast was the only vendor which detected this, and then they would feel silly for blocking it in China.

If that happens I'm first one which should laugh as to all censorship around China. Or maybe if some Chinese company buy Avast AV engine and implements it but without proper contacting Avast then I should die in peace because they automatically block some detection :p

NOTE: This is just my personal opinion, and yeah some grammar isn't good (primary language is Croatian but tech lang is English)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Now that's epic, trigger happy ban; I don't think so it will lose most customers on using Chinese AV considering mostly are free and well advertised. ;)

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
Those Chinese are quite paranoia, i believed they are afraid that some how their maybe sensitive info will leak to the outside world, just like what happened to microsoft.

Reactions: LAGUN

Alvin Deep

Feb 19, 2014
Because Avast secureline , I can say no more

The following message from a Chinese website:

“Avast in China also has a considerable number of users, due to the use of this shield is shielded keywords (keyword: .avast.com that avast official website and all second-level domain are shielded [Test Access: http: //www.microsoft .com / ?. avast.com]), which will affect the avast! clients to download the security update, web access and other labeling information flow.

And the reason is masked, it appears that everyone should have guessed that avast! Updated a few years ago, "security line", in fact, this is the VPN, so it is shielded.

avast! has not yet released any official notification.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.