Avast: False positive issue with virus defs 110411-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Virus definition update 110411-1 contained an error that resulted in a good number of innocent sites being flagged as infected. Generally, all sites with a script in a specific format were affected.

Our virus lab staff discovered the problem quickly after releasing the bad update and immediately started working on a fix. The fix was released about 45 minutes after the problematic update and has version number 110411-2. Anyone who still has this problem is kindly asked to manually update the definitions to the latest version, e.g. by right-clicking the avast taskbar icon (the orange (a) ball), and selecting Update -> Engine and Virus Definitions.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. As this typically only affected remote sites (and not local files), simply updating to the latest definitions should completely solve the issue (no local files have been quarantined).
https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1/

Hell broke loose last night. All of my family's computers run avast, imagine the horror!
I was up all night trying to figure out what was going on.
I ended up uninstalling, and i don't know if i will install it again.
:mad:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since I installed avast on the laptop glad I didn't received this issue, thanks for the heads up.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Well that explains why I kept seeing so many pages blocked and had some others mentioning being blocked from pretty much every page they attempted to view...thanks for the heads up.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I thought I was going to read something really bad...maybe something like this....but this is quite funny... :lol: What pages were blocked?:D
Glad to see that Avast had such a promt respons to this .... as for the trouble update ..well it happend to even bigger vendors, it's not nice but it's real life....

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Everything was blocked. :)
google, youtube, facebook, you name it. there are some who had everything that had something to do with html, deleted.
It wasn't on the scale of McAfee or AVG, but still annoying (not to mention the hundreds of e-mail notifications now in my inbox :( ).
The thought of an AV turning autoimmune, is scary.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
iPanik said:
Everything was blocked. :)
google, youtube, facebook, you name it. there are some who had everything that had something to do with html, deleted.
Wow...very serious error from Avast , I thought they just "manage" to give a red rating to CNET and other sites ...but all ... wow :D....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well before Avast 4 have encounter an FP issue that make complain with the users flagged the files like Realtek and others.

Then After Avast 6 yet encounter through the FP flagged websites as malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.