Battle Avast Free or AVG Free

Compare list
Avast Free 2021
AVG Free 2021
In-depth Comparison

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I know they're basically the same but which one would you go for and why? Which do you think is lighter?
I personally go for AVG due to the better UI that lacks Halloween-like colours. Actions like Deep Scan and update are presented for you at glance, whereas in Avast you will have to open menus and look for them.

AVG UI:
1609003319238.png

Avast UI:
v2_menu_settings.png

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I think its personal taste, one likes avast UI , one likes AVG UI ....
But Avast was anyway working on some experimental interface, based on their router's (Avast Omni). It is supposed to be located somewhere in geek:area...
Can an Avast user please check whether it is true?

Navigate to Menu -> Settings and in the search field type "geek:area".
Not sure if it is not only for the beta versions though.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I don't see anything related in geek area.... i think only in beta versions

Something extra for our beta users:
  • In the latest 20.7 BETA version, you can now try GUI in the updated design (based on our Avast Omni edition). Just go to Settings -> General -> Troubleshooting -> Theme. Please note that some UI parts are still in the original design and that there are improvements yet to be made in navigation. Though we would like to hear your opinion in this early stage.
Avast Omni | Security Everywhere You Connect

https://d1ka0itfguscri.cloudfront.net/Lh/2020/09/14/11/54/cYQ2XLJFk2/preview.jpg
Read in beta section, some pictures , but not many

Last edited:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
I would also go for AVG for the same reason @McMcbrad mentioned, and because AVG does not have that Protect your mobile button (or sth like that) in Avast GUI. Honestly, I would not use AVG Free for it lacks the firewall component and the price of IS is very inexpensive.
Yeah, just bought mine for 7,21 euros. It's really cheap and does a great job for the money.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I personally go for AVG due to the better UI that lacks Halloween-like colours. Actions like Deep Scan and update are presented for you at glance, whereas in Avast you will have to open menus and look for them.
If you have access, how different are they on macOS? Not just GUI, but settings and features.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

If you have access, how different are they on macOS? Not just GUI, but settings and features.
I do have access to the MacOS product, they are both two of the most comprehensive products for Mac.

In terms of differences between them, they are very identical, distinguished just by minor branding guidelines.

Avast for Mac:

AVG for Mac:

They both provide premium experience, in line with Mac concept and requirements.
The features set they offer is the same for them two and comes down mainly to Antivirus and web-filtering. Settings are quite limited, as with other Mac AVs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.