Battle Avast free vs Norton security suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTRUTH

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2013
I have norton security suite through my internet service provider. Which one should I use, Avast free or NSS?? Currently I am using win 8.1 with avast free.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As I understand Norton 2014 is compatible with Windows 8.1, you will need to check for compatibility for NSS. By the way, what is NSS; Internet Security or 360 version?

Overall Norton and Avast! are equally good software, but it's really what you prefer from security software.
Norton offers more of an automatic solution, avast! can be considered more hands-on, although V9 may be slightly different depending on your settings.

What made you pick Avast Free over Windows Defender (aka MSE for Windows 8)?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
AFAIK, NSS is an all-in-one solution that includes firewall, whereas Avast free is AV only. Norton and Avast are both very good security solutions. Which one better suits your needs, and comfort level, can be determined by you. Why not try both and see which one is the better fit?

TheTRUTH

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2013
Earth said:
As I understand Norton 2014 is compatible with Windows 8.1, you will need to check for compatibility for NSS. By the way, what is NSS; Internet Security or 360 version?

Overall Norton and Avast! are equally good software, but it's really what you prefer from security software.
Norton offers more of an automatic solution, avast! can be considered more hands-on, although V9 may be slightly different depending on your settings.

What made you pick Avast Free over Windows Defender (aka MSE for Windows 8)?
I dont know but in my machine MSS using lots of RAM, Avast and norton 360 both runs quietly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sounds like you're better of, not using NSS. I do think Avast! is a good product, but if you have money or use the promotional 6-month Norton Antivirus, you're good to go.

I found that Norton 360 (2011/2) can screw up your PC, with it's registry cleaner. That said, the new version could be different. However, CCleaner and other tools are safer to use, as Norton generally turns out to be automatic solution (user has little control).

Let's not forget, Windows 8.1 has a very good firewall, so Avast! Free + Windows Firewall can provide good security.
Example: Even the new Avira Free 2014 integrated Windows Firewall into it's GUI.

aztony said:
AFAIK, NSS is an all-in-one solution that includes firewall, whereas Avast free is AV only.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.