Hot Take Avast Hit with Multimillion-Euro Fine for GDPR failure

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019

Cybersecurity and antivirus company Avast has been hit with a €13.7 million ($14.9 million) fine for processing customers’ data illegally as per GDPR requirements.

Spanish not-for-profit NGO Facua, which focuses on consumer rights matters, made Spain’s Agency for Data Protection aware that Avast had collected and sold private browsing data, including identifying data, without knowledge or authorization.

Facua credits PCMag and Motherboard for first bringing the matter to public attention, which saw Avast wrongly handling personal data under its subsidiary, Jumpshot.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The fine shows that dirty practices don’t go unpunished in Europe. Although on Gen’s 2.7 bn revenue, this is a very small amount.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
From one pure protection point of view, just check out the longtime testing in the malware HUB that member @Andrew3000 been kind enough to share, as that show their free AV product it's strength and very few weaknesses. Along with some silly good analysts and re-searchers that I know work for the company, this news on the GDPR fine still ain't the best in town and obvious will sting. What will hurt the most and cost the company big time, is the brand getting stained, again. In the world of investors that matters. If I was a user/customer ( I'm not ) I would obvious blame those in charge that thought it was a brilliant idea and decided to use Jumpshot ( 👈 click for a small history on what occurred ).

Personal I think the report from last year 2022, on undiscovered vulnerabilities ( sandbox escapes etc ) for 10 years was way more serious. Now patched just to be clear. Also reported by Trendmicro actively used in Ransomware attacks.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
From one pure protection point of view, just check out the longtime testing in the malware HUB that member @Andrew3000 been kind enough to share, as that show their free AV product it's strength and very few weaknesses. Along with some silly good analysts and re-searchers that I know work for the company, this news on the GDPR fine still ain't the best in town and obvious will sting. What will hurt the most and cost the company big time, is the brand getting stained, again. In the world of investors that matters. If I was a user/customer ( I'm not ) I would obvious blame those in charge that thought it was a brilliant idea and decided to use Jumpshot ( 👈 click for a small history on what occurred ).

Personal I think the report from last year 2022, on undiscovered vulnerabilities ( sandbox escapes etc ) for 10 years was way more serious. Now patched just to be clear. Also reported by Trendmicro actively used in Ransomware attacks.
As much as I agree that Avast is basically spyware, most of the web scanning implemented by AV products tick the same box for me. Especially when they MITM your https connections. Even Trend's product can be configured to analyze every url and even scan (and potentially forward) emails from browser-based webmail (and they're not the only product that does these things). Are we really sure other security companies aren't doing exactly the same thing? We're basically letting them scan every url we ever visit...

Reactions: gonza

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.