K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Links:

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security

Operating Systems Supported

Windows 7 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Vista (any Edition excl. Starter Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Pentium 3 Processor
256 MB RAM
380 MB of free hard disk space

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
RE: Avast Internet Security 6.0.1203

Very nice review.;)
I have been trying it from the promotion and I really like it.
The auto decide feature on the firewall works excellent, they must have a very large whitelist.
Every trusted application on my system was auto granted connection without any problems excellent for novice users.
However you will get better network control if you set the Expert settings to "ASK" for all zones.

If you try GRC Leaktest, you will have to setup the rules to ASK to pass it because Avast detects that this program is safe (Gibson Research Corp.) verified trusted vendor. I'm sure this will apply to all leaktests by trusted verified vendors.

I have tried several known malware programs and Avast has either auto-blocked or Asked about allowing connection to all of them. Of coarse I rather have all zones set to "ASK" to have better control.

The compatibility is excellent, works with all of my programs without any issues, the resource usage and system impact is very light. False positives are much lower than other suites like (Norton, Eset, Comodo, BitDefender, Avira, etc.)

The detection rate is much better since they added the auto sandbox feature to keep suspicious files from infecting your system. Best of all, it is so easy to use unlike other suites which are too complicated for the majority of users.

This is the first security suite that I would gave a perfect 10. I usually don't like security suites.

Thanks.:D

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Thanks,
And nice detailed experience and info also! :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Avast needs to work on their Behavior Blocker , I for one never seen a alert from the behavior blocker while using Avast 6.
Overall Avast did a great job with their security product, very user friendly and offering a high degree of protection.

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Will add that to the post Jack, thanks.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011

Jack said:
Avast needs to work on their Behavior Blocker , I for one never seen a alert from the behavior blocker while using Avast 6.
I agree that the BB needs some improvement, but as much as some suggest. For some reason, it always works for me as I get alerts every now and then.

Lets not turn it into a semi-fledged HIPS... ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Jack said:
Overall Avast did a great job with their security product, very user friendly and offering a high degree of protection.

I guess you are talking about Behavior Shield? It works silently in the background (auto-decide) if you want to see it in action you need to go to the "Expert Settings" change Action to take to "Ask".

On Avast, any action that is set to (auto-decide) does not prompt the user or log events. Because there is no way of knowing what action was taken or if a module is indeed working.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems their Behavior Blocker was fine i saw some alerts from BB (Avast Free before in the laptop) and it can be better when a new version will release.

D Bone

May 28, 2011
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a pop-up very time you click your mouse to have a great product.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
D Bone said:
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a pop-up very time you click your mouse to have a great product.
Avast was designed to be a user friendly product , so their is no question that a behavior blocker that would generate tons of alerts wouldn't fit however a fine tuned behavior blocker is a good security layer of protection ,we can take as example SONAR from Symantec.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jack said:
D Bone said:
Avast was designed to be a user friendly product , so their is no question that a behavior blocker that would generate tons of alerts wouldn't fit however a fine tuned behavior blocker is a good security layer of protection ,we can take as example SONAR from Symantec.

Agree, Avast has an excellent balance between usability and security. If they have more security features to the Behavior Shield, then it takes away from the usability like many products with advanced HIPS features.

SONAR from Symantec is the best that I have seen in any security product, but it has its disadvantages as well like their auto protect can not be disabled for false positives. Adding exclusions to Norton isn't effective either. I simply uninstalled NIS 2011 before the trial period was over, got tried of it deleting safe files that I wanted to keep. One of the most requested features for Norton users is exclusions that work for auto protect or an "ASK" or "ignore" feature for false positives. Norton makes the final decision what it detects malware, the user has very little control. Since Norton has added Community Watch, the false positive issues has got much worse.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Great review. Love Avast now that I have changed from Trend Micro. Also there are settings, their aren't in Trend. Also very good at the detection rate :)

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:

i agree, like Mamutu, BB fit better to the common users

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.