-CPU Usage?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
-Overall Features? Avast
-Detection? Trend Micro
-Removal? Debatable
-BB? Avast's needs work and Trend doesn't have one (going by what I see)
-Online Banking? Avast (Sandboxing and Virtual)
-RAM Usage? Avast
-CPU Usage? Avast

For my experiences
I would go with Trend Micro for its Web blocking and its signatures which really improved a lot from my own personal testing and what I seen in independent testing while Avast has been going Good-Average.
Performance-wise I would go with Avast but Trend has been lighter then it has been, I noticed from using trend I seen some RAM and slight CPU spikes during updates but it didn't hog the system but everyone's computer is different. Also I like Trends cloud better but Avast has a good file reputation.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should try Trend Micro, although it's not used by many as compared to Avast (mostly the Free AV).

Avast Free/Internet Suite
-Overall Features?
A lot of features brought to the Free Antivirus, some enabled features are limited to trial-only. The Internet Security suites has the same, plus additional Manual Sandbox, Anti-Spam and Firewall components, else it's identical on Detection/Removal with slight variation in CPU/RAM usage.
-Detection?
Varies on a daily basis, but with the addition of new technologies to combat 0-day threats, detection should improve. FPs may occur. Don't expect magical wonders, malware may still go undetected.
-Removal?
Antivirus are better at prevention, by either Blocking the threat before access to your PC or Quarantining the object upon detection. If the malicious file slips through, you're in for a treat. Some features of the Antivirus are not practical or not emphasised to be used (ie. Avast manual sandbox).
-BB?
(See points above)
-Online Banking?
Virtual environments for logging-free zones, remember to Bookmark the correct URLs for your Banking/Shopping sites. Never trust URLs from suspicious emails, remember links can be masked and sites can be cloned.
-RAM Usage?
Relatively low usage. Less RAM usage doesn't mean better performance.
-CPU Usage?
Spikes may occur during updates or scans, or removal of threats. May be possible to set a Priority level for CPU usage (ie. Low to High or shown in Percentages(%) ).

I still encourage you to try out Trend Micro.

I didn't use Trend Micro long enough to review it, but from the choice given suites, I may be tempted to use TM.
Let's remember that Avast Internet Security is a (technically) a paid suite, and although you can get it for free, through promotions, a paying customer has no better protection than it's Free Antivirus. So in my opinion, Avast paid just doesn't cut it.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
feature= Avast by much
protection= Avast better HIPS & Trend better Sig's DB
performance= Avast not by much (though avast require more user interactions)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
woomera said:
feature= Avast by much
protection= Avast better HIPS & Trend better Sig's DB
performance= Avast not by much (though avast require more user interactions)
Avast doesn't have a HIPS...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well as most users here know I love Trend.

From the experience I have had with Avast from the testing I've been doing, it's a great program, but there are somethings that differ from Trend and Avast.

Take the Cloud technology that Trend is doing, they are saving people's download, but scanning the files through the Cloud, compared to Avast where you have to download the signature files.

The overall features of Avast are great. Lots of settings for an advanced user and the default/stock settings are great as well for a novice user. The features though differ from Trend and Avast. Trend is a program that only has the basic settings that you would need to keep yourself safe, compare to Avast which like I said has settings for everything and is great for advanced users.

Detection, hmm, well some people might say that "Trend is crap and can't find anything compared to my Avast" I kinda agree, but Trend focuses on it's web filter. Why the web filter you say, well when a user is comfronted with a page that says dangerous page, they would leave it as well it's a dangerous page. So when it comes to detection, I would say both have it's advantages. If you like to have a signature detection rate, then go with Avast, but if you like to have a very strong web filter, then go with Trend Micro.

Removal, well when it comes to that I would say Trend. Only on the basis from what I've read on other forums. Avast seems at times to have problems removing malware compare to well Trend (I'm not just saying it). If you can show me some information on where Trend is not the best on malware removal, they both will have to be the same when it comes to this.

Online Banking, well this is quite simple. It would have to go to Avast, for it's Sandboxing and Virtual features, compared to Trend which don't have that on the Internet Security version. On the Max version, if you buy the Max version you get a Key for Trend, Trend Direct Pass, Trend Micro Mobile Security, Trend Micro Online Guardian for Families, and I think Trend Micro for Mac. With Trend Micro Direct pass you get the option to go and browse that website that has HTTPS in a secure browser, proof, which all it does is open which ever browser you have on default, to In-private mode, where no history is recorded.

Ram Usage, well some users think that Trend's usage is quite high. I personally think it comes down to the machine you have and how good your system specs are. I have been using Trend for years, and I have not a problem with the RAM Usage. Avast though when I did a test on it, it did seems to be quite good on the RAM Usage, but once again it comes down to what type of machine you have.

CPU Usage, well I know Trend seems to spike when doing a scan, but same with Avast, so here is might have to be both that have high CPU Usage.

Another reason why people don't like Trend I've noticed is that it doesn't have a Firewall. Well that is true, but it has a Windows Firewall Booster, which means it boosts the security of the Windows Firewall.

So overall I think it comes down to personal preference. Some people like the option of having so much settings to configure, but some just like an AV where you can install and forget knowing it is still there in the background to protect you.

I think I've said enough. :)

Karmos

Jun 4, 2013
I used both of them. Avast is very good but I faced many problems with it, it slowed down my download speed, the site corrector is stupid I didn't like it. Trend Micro is better than Avast.
Detection : Trend Micro > Avast
Web protection : Trend Micro > Avast
Scan Speed : Trend Micro > Avast
Startup speed : Trend Micro > Avast
User Interface : Trend Micro = easy user interface
Avast = no as Trend Micro.
lightness : Trend Micro is lighter than Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.