Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AVAST Partners with Facebook to Stop Malware-Infected Link Sharing - Source

AVAST Software has teamed up with Facebook to help you and your friends stay safe. AVAST is sharing its Virus Lab data with Facebook in the combined attempt to prevent malware being shared unknowingly by Facebook users. Whenever someone clicks a link within Facebook, Facebook checks the URL in the AVAST cloud, in real time. If the URL is infected, the user sees a message warning of the potential threat.

Read more...

FB-security.jpg

Z

ZeroDay

A move in the right direction for bookface. Thanks for the share.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Didn't Facebook had a partnership with Web of Trust..which by the way I have ever failed to see on Facebook.
Anyway,Avast has a very good webguard so I have no doubt it will be a major blow for the cyber crooks on Facebook.......Overall good deal for Facebook and an awesome deal for Avast,if we have in mind that this social network has almost 1 billion users...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This is a great thing for Avast. Soon you will see others doing this as well.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Great news for avast, will probably get them some more users too since facebook is partnered now

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
seems like others have joined force too....
Panda Security, The Cloud Security Company, has signed a collaboration agreement with Facebook to protect users of the popular social networking site. Facebook users will be able to download a free 6-month version of Panda Internet Security 2013 from the AV Marketplace. Additionally, the security company and the social media site will share their databases of malicious URLs to protect users while surfing the Web.

Source: http://press.pandasecurity.com/news/panda-security-and-facebook-join-forces-to-help-users-protect-their-digital-lives/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
https://www.facebook.com/security/app_360406100715618

NOTE: Once you click to download you will not be able to download other pc products from Facebook Security!

You can only download one security product from Facebook Security. Make sure you pick the one that you want.

Options are:

1. McAfee Internet Security (6 month free trial)
2. Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
3. Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2013 (it doesn't clarify free trial)
4. avast! Free Antivirus (free)
5. Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus 2013 (6 month free trial)
6. Panda Internet Security 2013 (6 month free trial)
7. Norton AntiVirus (it doesn't clarify free trial)
8. Total Defense Free Anti-Virus plus Free Cloud Based Security Assessment (free?, it doesn't clarify)
9. Avira Free Antivirus (free)
10. Kaspersky PURE Total Security (6 month free trial)

So there is a lot of security vendors hat have partnerships with Facebook. It wouldn't be advised to choose one that doesn't clarify the details about what is actually free or how long the free trial is for.

I have never heard of Total Defense, what AV engine does it use?

Thanks.:D

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Dont know whether Avast or Facebook gain from this deal but Earth gain +18 reps till now from this news:p

Thanks for share

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Littlebits said:
Total Defense is the new CA antivirus. They were absorbed over six months by some security company.

I

illumination

It will take all of them combined to put a dent in the cesspool called facebook. One of the largest targets online.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Tobi said:
Littlebits said:
Total Defense is the new CA antivirus. They were absorbed over six months by some security company.

Ok, so I guess it uses the old eTrust AV engine that CA acquired awhile back.
I remember when CA bought eTrust AV, it was a good product but then CA destroyed it. Some of you might be old enough to remember eTrust Antivirus and eTrust PestPatrol (AntiSpyware and Anti-Trojan).

Good day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.