Avast was selling data from dutch people (Update: Related to Jumpshot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It is about the Jumpshot period between May 2015 and 30 January 2020:

Do you have or did you have Avast anti-virus software on your computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone at any time between May 2015 and 30 January 2020? Then join our first class action lawsuit. It is simple, read below and you will understand.

Avast provides a world-famous anti-virus software. Especially 'security extensions' for browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Edge) and browsers. To offer your 'maximum security', Avast promoted that you turn on these virus filters.

Avast's applications stopped viruses. However, at the same time they collected a huge amount of user data. Avast's US subsidiary Jumpshot sold this user data to anyone willing to pay for it.

So, instead of protecting you, Avast harvested your data to sell on to third parties. Your data can now roam everywhere and be used for many purposes you were not made aware of

We will hold Avast accountable for this gross violation of privacy.

Join us here

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
This is no repost, it was in news today , see date in article , i guess they will talk about it for years .... but for now avast has stopped jumpshot a while ago , so we can use it again (y)
(ps : a side note , i'm running avast free for a week now , so far so good)

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
This is no repost, it was in news today , see date in article , i guess they will talk about it for years .... but for now avast has stopped jumpshot a while ago , so we can use it again (y)
(ps : a side note , i'm running avast free for a week now , so far so good)
Avast Free is pretty amazing. Nice security features. including the Firewall. I have it on a Windows 7 PC and had Avast One on the phone for a while. Very nice there, too :)

Last edited:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Sucks that Avast is doing stuff like this - they have a pretty good security product on their hands. I personally dont use it - but I do believe it's detection capabilities are underrated. But this is old news.

Reactions: [correlate]

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Avast is a great product, specially looking at all they offer for free. Avast does not engage in the reselling of personal information anymore, but they made a mistake, pissed quite a lot of people off and some of them want to get them sued. Nothing wrong with that. The post is an invitation for people to join a class action. I’d join if I were them. That’s how business works, you make a mistake, you pay for it. Then you learn and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.