App Review AVG Free Antivirus 2013 Test & Review (ThePCSecurity)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
AVG Free Antivirus 2013 Test & Review
Uploaded to YouTube by ThePCSecurity

Kindly N.B.
The review of this software is not carried out by me.
Any questions or criticisms should be directed to the author of the video.
These videos are posted for the communities education and for entertainment value only :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Could it be true? Could AVG actually have a potential top tier free AV??? I am somewhat shocked.
Thanks for the review.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Wow..............An actually review with voice over. No silent video with music playing. Why cant there be more people who aren't afraid to speak up. But I look at a product from a clients point of view. If it involves user interaction to remove threats thats not a good idea. Avast,Norton,Kaspersky and Panada remove threats automatically. Also like biozfear he missed the other 2 processes for the toolbar. They are on the bottom.

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
Wow..............An actually review with voice over. No silent video with music playing. Why cant there be more people who aren't afraid to speak up. But I look at a product from a clients point of view. If it involves user interaction to remove threats thats not a good idea. Avast,Norton,Kaspersky and Panada remove threats automatically. Also like biozfear he missed the other 2 processes for the toolbar. They are on the bottom.

I did scroll down to the bottom but didn't select it. Just because I didn't select, don't assume I missed something. If I didn't scroll down, then your argument of me missing is fully valid but that wasn't the case, was it now?

Each user has their own style when doing recordings of tests/reviews. I don't do voice not because I am afraid to speak up. It is simply because if a user who doesn't understands English listen to what I have to say, he/she will not understand.

By doing Text based, I give the user enough time to use a translator to have an idea what I am writing. I also do not put any music simply because what I might think it is a good track, other users might not think the same.

flik

Level 1
Jul 25, 2012
There is an option to make avg automatically remove threats found with identity protection. I haven't found any fp yet from this module, so maybe it's a good option for average users.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Not for real time protection. AVG full scans can be set to remove threats automaticlly but not the resident shield. That's why that option is listed under scans.

flik

Level 1
Jul 25, 2012
I was refering to "Identity protection" which is the most user depended protection module. It's not under the scan settings.
As regards resident shield, there is also an option there, for taking action automatically.
I have tested and both options work fine, threats are blocked automatically either with resident shield wither with identity protection.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
I played around with it all weekend and saw no such option. If I am wrong can you post a screen shot. Thanks.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Ok I found it. Ask is checked off by default. I totally missed it. If you uncheck it then it will remove threats automatically. My bad.

mt3948

Nov 20, 2012
Aventador said:
I played around with it all weekend and saw no such option. If I am wrong can you post a screen shot. Thanks.

If you go to advanced settings and choose "computer protection" then "antivirus" you just un-check "ask me before removing threats" and threats will be automatically removed. A box will appear in bottom right corner of desktop saying threats have been successfully removed!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.