Status
Not open for further replies.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
The privacy policy is almost identical for all.
Collect data and personal information with the promise to not share anything with third parties.
Believe them?
I dont believe them they all do it and sell it on to make money. are they going to tell us if they did pass it on? thats a big fat NO!

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
In case you have AVG installed, you will notice that starting October the 15th you'll get a popup, indicating that AVG anti-virus software now collect and sell browser and search history data and well, what not ? Also getting tired of all the companies tracking you and selling your data these days ?

Security firm AVG can sell search and browser history data to advertisers in order to "make money" from its free antivirus software, a change to its privacy policy has confirmed.

Under the heading "What do you collect that cannot identify me?" the policy reads:

We collect non-personal data to make money from our free offerings so we can keep them free, including:

• Advertising ID associated with your device;
  • Browsing and search history, including meta data;
  • Internet service provider or mobile network you use to connect to our products; and
  • Information regarding other applications you may have on your device and how they are used.
Sometimes browsing history or search history contains terms that might identify you. If we become aware that part of your browsing history might identify you, we will treat that portion of your history as personal data, and will anonymize this information.

The updated policy explained that AVG was allowed to collect "non-personal data", which could then be sold to third parties. The new privacy policy comes into effect on 15 October, but AVG explained that the ability to collect search history data had also been included in previous privacy policies, albeit with different wording.

AVG's potential ability to collect and sell browser and search history data placed the company "squarely into the category of spyware", according to Alexander Hanff security expert and chief executive of Think Privacy.

"Antivirus software runs on our devices with elevated privileges so it can detect and block malware, adware, spyware and other threats,". "It is utterly unethical to [the] highest degree and a complete and total abuse of the trust we give our security software." Hanff urged people using AVG's free antivirus to "immediately uninstall the product and find an alternative".

Previous versions of AVG's privacy policy stated it could collect data on "the words you search", but didn't make it clear that browser history data could also be collected and sold to third parties. In a statement AVG said it had updated its privacy policy to be more transparent about how it could collect and use customer data.

An AVG spokesperson explained that any non-personal data it collected and potentially sold to advertisers would be cleaned and anonymised, making it impossible to link it back to individual users. "Many companies do this type of collection every day and do not tell their users," the spokesperson said.

"While AVG has not utilised data models to date, we may, in the future, provided that it is anonymous, non-personal data"
AVG spokesperson
An AVG spokesperson told WIRED that in order to continue offering free security software the company may in the future "employ a variety of means, including subscription, ads and data models."

"Those users who do not want us to use non-personal data in this way will be able to turn it off, without any decrease in the functionality our apps will provide," the spokesperson added. "While AVG has not utilised data models to date, we may, in the future, provided that it is anonymous, non-personal data, and we are confident that our users have sufficient information and control to make an informed choice."

According to Nigel Hawthorn, European spokesperson for cloud security firm Skyhigh Networks, AVG had stayed "just on the non-creepy side of creepy". "If something is free you've got to assume that you're the product," he said. "The difficulty with this is whether anyone notices, reads it, checks it and understands the implications".

"It is utterly unethical to the highest degree and a complete and total abuse of the trust we give our security software"
Alexander Hanff, chief executive, Think Privacy
AVG is the third most popular antivirus product in the world according to market analysis from software firm Opswat. The company has a 8.6 percent share of the global market, behind Microsoft on 19.4 percent and Avast on 21.4 percent. In its privacy policy, Avast, which also provides free security software, explains that it is able to collect certain non-personal information and sell it to advertisers. The company does not specify that this includes browser and search history data.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Thing is I think most of the free AVs already do that, like AVG says, there are statements in their policies that allow them to see their users data already in effect. How are the rest of the AVs making money off their free AVs? Certainly not by waiting for you to sign up for their paid version while giving you full protection on their free versions. Even Avast is developing a software that allows for data tracking and sending to third parties for all free users.

Simply put, if you don't want the company making money off your data, support them by paying for their premium versions of their AVs. They don't code for free and don't keep the servers up for nothing nor do they owe you anything.

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Everyone's doing it...we accept things without even bothering to read them
Thanks for your honesty AVG, but sorry not going to download AVG again

Reactions: tonibalas

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
everyone is losing their minds about these, i remember that avast started to do the same so time ago even for the paid users so i dont see the point, basically every free stuff you get, the revenue they get is you! however i dont see the problem as for here (nicaragua) even with the bad privacy policy that avast has, avast is the most widely used AV

PST: i wonder what people would say if they discover that the product they use to protect from malware is actually doing a better job than NSA

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I like to be told the truth, so points +1 for AVG telling everyone on their website.

No points for the free AV's that are collecting and keeping it secret.

but isnt AVG collecting personal data anyway, wasn't that already clear in the Privacy Policy, from AV comparatives ?

How much "data" is being collected at Oct 15th, photos and poems etc... etc? Should I switch out of AVG, which is annoying because I found a nice AV for my low spec laptop. :p

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As various articles are published regarding on AVG new policy, one thing makes literally same to others.

Either use for revenue on their product development through information collecting or improve its experience.

Not sharing for third party is a must unless sponsor to transfer those details.

Reactions: Butterfly

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
It's hilarious, but anyway. Avg is saying what they're doing, but i'm sure other vendors don't do the same.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Related article (Why Your Browser History is at Risk from Free Antivirus Programs - Neurogadget.com)
The reports above point to the likelihood of users discovering that the free antivirus programs they were using sell their browsing history to advertisers. This indicates the fact that some of the free antivirus programs are only interested in acquiring information from users and sharing this with other organizations for profit. Although this is only applicable to non-personal data, users might find such information a bit disturbing

Are you at risk when it comes to using other Free Antivirus software?

L

LabZero

It is highly likely that this business model will involve increasingly antivirus vendors because, nowadays, It is a rewarding tool which can ensure to payment software a certain level of gratuity ... so if we can call it, of course....

Last edited by a moderator:

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
How does Avast privacy policy compare to AVG's? Both Czech vendors are known for their intrusive privacy policies.

Does Avast sell browsing history tooo_O?

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.