Avira Free Antivirus

How would you rate Avira Free Antivirus 2012?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 4 Stars (Very good)

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • 1 Stars (Poor)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have never tried this product

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Thread author
Dec 30, 2011
If you want a free solution for your pc just follow these steps

> avast free 6.0
> malwarebytes (without real time protection enabled) update and scan your pc once a month
> ccleaner use it to remove all the temporary files (once a day before shutting your pc down)
> panda url filter (it will help you to not open risky websites)
> AVG Anti-Rootkit Free (scan your pc once a month)

if you will follow these steps your PC will live its life and you will not have to format your PC again and again also these are all free products to use .

My last thought -> please do not use torrent , warez etc or your pc will get infected easily and no anti-virus will help you.

hope you like my reviews !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As I used Avira Free before, the only con is that my boot up takes additional 4-6 seconds when the older version like 8 and 9 were isn't.

Yes the removal of virus may take time and AFAIK there is no option under Guard settings to make removal procedure automatically with designated function (Delete, Quarantine, Repair and etc.)

Its matter when it popups just two options either Remove or Choose (Something you can select the way it will remove)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How does WebGuard impact my Internet download speed?

WebGuard acts like a HTTP proxy and needs to cache some data in order to scan it. After scanning, it delivers data to the browser at full speed.

WebGuard is very fast, so the scanning itself will take very little time.

As a result, you will have almost the same download speed, but it may seem slower because the data comes to the browser with a delay. For the same reason a lot of speed-test sites/programs will turn out to be inaccurate.

Link

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Justin when you reviewed was it only Avira or some firewall was installed on the pc? I have used AVIRA IS 2012 and got no web slowdowns. Any way good pros and cons. For free solutions i always combine Avira or Avg with Outpost or Comodo. Very rarely i used Online Armor. Mostly for free AV i go for Avira and now after 2012 made so many improvements its definitely Avira.

Out of topic: I have seen some of my school pc's running with Avira and Rising without any problems. The only catch i scanned my friends pendrive with Avira and Rising. Avira shows 1 worm and 2 trojans while rising showed a slew of viruses. At any time i would trust Avira. Rising is showing either fps or has it become a rouge?

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
malbky said:
Out of topic: I have seen some of my school pc's running with Avira and Rising without any problems. The only catch i scanned my friends pendrive with Avira and Rising. Avira shows 1 worm and 2 trojans while rising showed a slew of viruses. At any time i would trust Avira. Rising is showing either fps or has it become a rouge?
Having two or more full-fledged AVs on the system does not promise more protection. When having two AVs installed, I don't recommend trusting one over the other.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I never said it increases effectiveness Tobi. What I am saying that avira just shows a few infected files while Rising gives a whole list of many files. So in case of trusting i go with Avira as it is more reputed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Perhaps Rising PC Doctor is one that runs alongside with Avira since its different from their AV itself.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
malbky said:
I never said it increases effectiveness Tobi. What I am saying that avira just shows a few infected files while Rising gives a whole list of many files. So in case of trusting i go with Avira as it is more reputed.
I never said it did, I just told you a few of the 'dangers' of using two full-fledged AVs on the same system. Before assuming things, did you even analyze those files? I am sure everyone would agree that you should check those detected files (Avira and Rising) first before removing them, that way you don't end up deleting something that you may regret. If you are going to shift your trust to Avira, you may want to uninstall Rising.

I am only trying to help, that is all. :angel:

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Tobi I am not misunderstanding you at all. And thanks for the help. I only took aviras help. Later when i scanned the files in another pc which has nis no viruses were detected. As I said Tobi i am not using two avs. It is one of the computers in the school. Did i forger to mention it was in the principal's office. Of Course i couldnt not do any research on it. IT was urgently for a competition that i needed access to that pc so was granted it :).

An way it does not assume any importance as all school pc's currently run quickheal. And secondly all of the have been replaced by Dells.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I am starting to dislike Avira. They are having many update goof ups like the recent one involving Avira ProActiv.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It is a good antivirus, extremely light on resources but I feel that another free product has a bit more to offer when it comes to features and protection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The thing that makes Avira stronger and could also tied up on other products is due to detection rates especially signatures. While others security products were depends on the component features

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.

May 22, 2012
I am starting to dislike this antivirus program. Avira seems to have too many update mess ups like their recent one that they did with the Avirra ProActiv.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
jamescv7 said:
The thing that makes Avira stronger and could also tied up on other products is due to detection rates especially signatures. While others security products were depends on the component features

I totally agree to that :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What I like about Avira:
1. Runs light on most systems that I have tried it on, maybe the lightest AV available.
2. Updates quickly and doesn't lag the system.
3. Excellent detection rate, one of the best.
4. Very nice user friendly GUI.

What I don't like about Avira:
1. High False Positive Rates.
2. Unnecessary scanning of the system every time it finds a false positive, no way to disable this feature. You have to set there and wait for it to get done before doing anything else.
3. Default action when malware is detected is set to "Deny Access". Of coarse this will protect you if Avira is still running, but if it crashes or you disable the protection to allow a false positive then your system is vulnerable to getting infected. Most other AV's quarantine detected malware or move to virus chest which will protect you if your AV crashes or if you decide to disable protection to allow a false positive.
4. Many times in the past when I used Avira, it would ignore exclusions. I always had to disable real-time protection in order to allow a false positive.
5. Avira never releases changelogs letting users know what issues were fixed or changes made. Sometimes they will release a summery of major releases but it never shows details.
6. Complicated configuration settings, default settings are weak but if you change them then you even get more false positives.
7. Lacks digital file signature checking for valid vendors, one of the main reason for high false positive rate. For example, if a file is digitally signed by Microsoft, then that file should not be scanned. Avira scans these files and there is no way to disable valid file signature scanning for trusted vendors. Many testing site ignore this and count these false positives as detection rate falsely increasing Avira's detection rate.

Thanks.:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Anyone mentioned the Ask-based Toolbar? It is optional but without it you don't get the WebGuard protection. (more info: link1, link2). I know that you can "trick" the installer to install WebGuard without the toolbar (or at least I read a blog post on raymond.cc about it) but that's not 100% legit... so pretend I never mentioned it. Other companies manage to provide a free version without bundling a third party toolbar and personally I would rather see ads than installing a toolbar.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The way it interaction on the detected viruses (real time) since scanning will take it a long time depends on the system.

Unlike other products once detected its blocked already which no more user required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.