Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A recent update for Avira antivirus software for Windows seems to have a negative impact on system stabilization for some users. For a couple of days, Avira users have reported issues with the antivirus software on their Windows machines.

Most users report freezes on startup. One user, who reported the issue on the Avira forum on Reddit described the issue in the following way: "Today, my PC suddenly started to freeze on startup. I tried disabling all background apps until only Avira was left. 2 other people I know had the same issue (both have Avira). Fixed it by going into safe startup and uninstalling Avira."

Other users chimed in and reported similar issues with Avira. German publisher Heise suggests that the Friday update for Avira products has caused the issue on Windows. The issue affects Windows 10 and Windows 11 according to Heise's report. For some users, windows PCs are usable for about two to three minutes before they lock up completely and can't be used anymore. Other users mention freezes during startup so that they can't log on at all on the system.

Affected users resolved the issue by uninstalling Avira from their PCs. It is unclear if this is the only solution to the issue, or if there is a less drastic option. Deactivation of a single component might also lead to restoration of system stability, but this has not been confirmed up until now.

Windows users who can log on may uninstall Avira by selecting Start > Settings > Apps. There, you need to search for Avira, activate the three-dots menu next to the entry and select the uninstall option. A restart is required to complete the operation.

Both affected Windows operating systems will enable Microsoft Defender automatically if no other antivirus solution is found on the system.

Users who can't log on anymore because of the freezes may need to access the advanced options of Windows during boot. If the login screen loads, one option to access it is to click shutdown, hold down the Shift-key on the keyboard and select Restart. Another option is to use Windows Recovery Media, if available, or hope that Windows' own detection kicks in and displays the advanced boot options.

Avira has not yet responded with a public statement regarding the reported issue. Affected users may also keep an eye on Avira's website to find out if updates are released that address the issue.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Why is the Avira Firewall temporarily disabled on my computer?
We are aware that a recent update of Avira has caused an issue for some Windows 10 and Windows 11 users. The issue is caused by the Avira internal Firewall under a rare condition. It results in new Windows processes not being started.

The issue was automatically fixed by an update deployed on Monday, Dec 11, 11:30 AM (CET). This update will temporarily turn off the Avira firewall until a complete fix is ready.

There is no impact on security as Avira Antivirus is enabled to provide protection.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just for the picture :D
angry-computer.jpg

• HaHa
Reactions: vtqhtr413

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Just a question to satisfy my constant curiosity. Between F-Secure and Avira pro (not prime!) is there a difference in the effectiveness of the protection?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I know F-Secure uses Avira scanning engine (as you know also) and I believe their own. Where F-Secure really sets itself apart from Avira, at least from my experience, is its browsing protection. It may have the FPs going for it..lol, but in all the tests I've seen here, on YouTube, AV Comparatives etc, does a better job at protection than Avira.

- Hydra: Script based (heuristic) AV engine.
- Virgo: Certificate whitelisting engine.
- Capricorn: Signature based AV engine.
- Lynx: Cloud scanning (sandbox) engine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.