Not open for further replies.

jogs

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I came across this antivirus (AVL Pro) for mobile. Sites like AV Test .org etc show good result for this AV, yet it is not that popular. Any body knows how good or bad is this.

P.S. I found no section for Mobile AV, so, I put it in here.

Reactions: Logethica

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My experience of this App goes back about 2-3 years so will not be very relevant now perhaps:rolleyes:
AVL (Antiy) have an excellent track record on AV tests...and for good reason.
I tried many different AV/AM Apps for my Android and AVL was my favourite in retrospect,and I did not find it heavy or intrusive like some other AVs..:)
It is worth me saying that,(at the time),AVL Pro was not AVL with additional features....AVL & AVL Pro were using completely different scanning systems,almost as though AVL was a continuous BETA for AVL Pro...;)
I have no idea whether this is still the case or not:confused:

I've found a Review that I posted for AVL (NOT AVL PRO) at the time (2-3 Years Ago):
"Strange!!! This app detected the smsreg gedma.a virus on my android but could not remove it!! Strangely this virus was not picked up by AVL Pro,nor was it detected by AVG,Avast,Lookout,Sophos,TrustGo,McAfee,Eset,Qihu 360,Dr Web v.9,or Malwarebytes.This leaves 2 possible conclusions.Either this app is superior to all of the above apps,including AVLs own pro version but lacks the ability to remove said virus,or this app is delivering false-positives for the gedma.a virus.Please advise"

I did get a Reply asking me to send logs,but by then I had moved on to testing other Android AVs.
Sorry that I cannot give you more recent feedback:D...but any feedback is better than none:) (I Hope)

jogs

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
My experience of this App goes back about 2-3 years so will not be very relevant now perhaps:rolleyes:
AVL (Antiy) have an excellent track record on AV tests...and for good reason.
I tried many different AV/AM Apps for my Android and AVL was my favourite in retrospect,and I did not find it heavy or intrusive like some other AVs..:)
It is worth me saying that,(at the time),AVL Pro was not AVL with additional features....AVL & AVL Pro were using completely different scanning systems,almost as though AVL was a continuous BETA for AVL Pro...;)
I have no idea whether this is still the case or not:confused:

I've found a Review that I posted for AVL (NOT AVL PRO) at the time (2-3 Years Ago):
"Strange!!! This app detected the smsreg gedma.a virus on my android but could not remove it!! Strangely this virus was not picked up by AVL Pro,nor was it detected by AVG,Avast,Lookout,Sophos,TrustGo,McAfee,Eset,Qihu 360,Dr Web v.9,or Malwarebytes.This leaves 2 possible conclusions.Either this app is superior to all of the above apps,including AVLs own pro version but lacks the ability to remove said virus,or this app is delivering false-positives for the gedma.a virus.Please advise"

I did get a Reply asking me to send logs,but by then I had moved on to testing other Android AVs.
Sorry that I cannot give you more recent feedback:D...but any feedback is better than none:) (I Hope)

Thanks for replying.

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Regarding reliability of Android antivirus, we can trust primarily to independent Lab Tests, the EICAR Test, an Android emulator inside a VM where we can do experiments, or about our personal experiences as @Logethica said.

Personally I have tested AVL Pro, recent version, just with the EICAR test with positive feedback, but this test has no real importance because today all of the most important Android AVs detect it.

So It is difficult to test the real effectiveness of a Android AV if we cannot test it in the real world and we don't trust AV-Test.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
..So It is difficult to test the real effectiveness of a Android AV if we cannot test it in the real world and we don't trust AV-Test.
Yes,thats true....
I Personally think that PC Security and Smart Phone Security are poles apart...in the sense that achieving a satisfactory level of PC Security is relatively easy with a little research,whereas that same level of Security on a Smart Phone is IMO almost impossible....
Many People will make their PC Security like a Fortress yet sync all of their personal information to a Smart Phone that is extremely vulnerable in comparison.I do not see the logic of this.
With a Smart Phone I have to worry about my Bluetooth & WiFi Settings potentially being hacked/exploited...as well as the poor regulation of Apps from Google Play/IOS Stores ,and the ridiculous permissions asked of many of them...

I decided about a year ago to revert to using an old Nokia,as I found that (Like Many Others) I was being lured into smart phone usage by its shiny superficiality..
I need a Phone to make calls and send texts,not to use as an electronic swiss-army knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.