AVs shouldn’t just be something on your hard drive.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
AntiVirus program shouldn’t just be something on your hard drive – it should be part of a global immune system. So says Graham Cluley who has worked in the AV industry for two decades. He currently works as an independent analyst, and offers news and views on AV issues at his blog. This is the first in a series of guest blog posts by experts, analysts and researchers at We Live Security.

Back in the old days viruses weren’t made to make money – they were just graffiti. They could cost you money – but the “point” would be the letters falling down your screen, or a graphic of an ambulance driving across. There was an artistry there. With the commercialization of malware, that’s all gone. They don’t care about the quality – just the money.
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2013/11/20/antivirus-not-just-on-your-hard-drive-global-immune-system/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Very nice article and interesting reading.
It has a lot of points that I agree with as I have stated before, you can't depend on security software to protect against malicious software.

You have to use a combination of good web habits when browsing the web, email and downloading files, keep your eyes open for fake alert sites and scams, use Windows default security components UAC runs at OS level above security software and can block any malicious software if utilized correctly. It is always advised to have a good real-time AV to help with when you make a mistake.

Keeping Windows updated and all web software updated to patch vulnerabilities and use secure web browser with security extensions.

Keeping Windows safe is an on-going task that requires the user to be aware at all times. If you set back and depend on your security software to do all the work then you will get infected sooner or later.

Enjoy!! :D

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
" I think most of us would like to look after the community. Feedback is your way of giving something back. It’s your way of being proactive. "
Community feedback is somthing i don't like because some time it manipulated by some inexperienced user give a open false positive like eg:
Once i installed Free download manager with Community feedback and in my first download that was MBAM Community feedback give me alert that some user find it malacious.So it is easily destroy the trust of users on a known and good product too.I know its a false positive but what about those users ,they are not tech savy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.