Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is there a way to take a system image of an Android phone, and restore it if need be?
If not, what's the best way to back up a phone?
What do you people use?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I borrowed from someone a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
Android 7.1.2

Reactions: harlan4096

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There you go, this the phone subforum Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A make a thread if you need anything or problem, and the backup/restore system image [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][UGGLITE][V3.2.1-027] Red Wolf Recovery Project make sure if thats your phone model..and be careful
Thanks. The link seems to be a hack to make a recovery image or something. I am not sure I want to hack my device at this point. I am too much of a phone noob for that, especially on a borrowed device.

So what do you guys do, to back up your phone?
I mean, the kind of guy who uses macrium reflect or aomei backupper for his PC, what should he use for his phone?
I installed my apps and set up my settings. How do I back it all up? I don't have any actual data that needs backup at this point, just my installed apps and settings.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check if your manufacturer provides a solution for this.

For complete backups, I use Xperia Companion (Xperia Android) and iTunes (iOS).

There are Backup options in Android settings for Cloud and Local backups, which seem to be automatic for most parts.

The following can be backed up & synced to whichever service you use, or copied to PC/mac via USB.
  • Photos and Videos
  • Music
  • Files and Documents

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks, @Spawn. So it turns out there is a built-in backup tool, it covers system settings, account info, and apps.
I backed it up, and saved it to my PC. It came out about 160 MB.
I assume that I should not sync it to the cloud, unless I encrypt it first?
It is not the same as a real system image backup, because if my apps are deleted or broken, it will not recreate them, AFAIK. But it will restore their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.