Bad pool header and blue screen after install Bitdefender IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
After installing bitdefender internet security, my computer shows blue screen caused by bad pool header...

Does anybody have this problem after install BD product ?

ps.
dell inspiron 660. intel core i3, ram 6gb, hard disk 1tb, intel graphic 2000.
Windows 7 enterprise.
Before use BD, I used norton IS. Bitdefender installer removed norton IS.

Last edited:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
which are your settings? and which programs are installed in your pc, generally speaking bitdefender crash when some incompatible software is installed in you pc, please note that bitdefender is incompatible with a lot of programs... bad pool header is a sign that a driver is not working the way it has to

L

LabZero

Which version of Windows do you have? I had the same problem with BD Total Security : BSOD. I agree with @gricardo21 .

Do you've downloaded the online installer ?. I have resolved simply trying to reinstall BD : after a few attempts it was all Ok

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
which are your settings? and which programs are installed in your pc, generally speaking bitdefender crash when some incompatible software is installed in you pc, please note that bitdefender is incompatible with a lot of programs... bad pool header is a sign that a driver is not working the way it has to

I use dell inspiron 660, intel core i3, intel graphic, 6GB ram, 1TB hard disk,...., etc. Nothing special...

Which version of Windows do you have? I had the same problem with BD Total Security : BSOD. I agree with @gricardo21 .

You've downloaded the online installer ?. I have resolved simply trying to reinstall BD : after a few attempts it was all Ok

I use windows 7 enterprise edition.
Yes. I downloaded online installer.
Should I reinstall bitdefender internet security using online same installer ? Or is there any full installation file for bitdefender ?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

I use windows 7 enterprise edition.
Yes. I downloaded online installer.
Should I reinstall bitdefender internet security using online same installer ? Or is there any full installation file for bitdefender ?
Full install.file is better (updated)

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
After installing bitdefender internet security, my computer shows blue screen caused by bad pool header...

Does anybody have this problem after install BD product ?

ps.
dell inspiron 660. intel core i3, ram 6gb, hard disk 1tb, intel graphic 2000.
Windows 7 enterprise.
Before use BD, I used norton IS. Bitdefender installer removed norton IS.
I had a bad experience with bitdefender internet security on my XP long ago,BIS almost bricked it :mad: Had to install OS :(

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
A while ago (2012-2013) I had problems with BD blocking my wireless adapter from connecting to the internet (firewall module). As of now I have no problems anymore with BD besides that they take action by themselves on a file and such. I prefer 100% control over the actions since it is my data they could be potentially messing with. Set and forget can be a bigger problem than having to chose yourself. Even if that person was a novice.

Emsisoft has a big problem with VirtualBox. If you don't uninstall it completely, it BSOD your computer and then it doesn't boot. You'd have to go into safe mode (without networking, other wise it would crash to - probably because it might load up VirtualBox network drivers), and manually remove it and it's left over registry files. Even the registry itself was enough to make EAM or EIS freak out. Every AV has it's short comings. BD does it's job very well but is unfortunately bugged. I guess they are too focused on protection in signatures than fixing those bugs (signatures are extremely time consuming - and in my opinion, don't matter that much anymore - it's those zero day features that you'd want to have).

If you can fix your problem, I'd keep BD. If you can't within a short time, I'd move on to something else. You shouldn't have to put in time to fix a problem like this. The AV is suppose to prevent, not cause problems. Best of luck to you @breathejustice and sorry for the rant. It's a habit I can't kick.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
A while ago (2012-2013) I had problems with BD blocking my wireless adapter from connecting to the internet (firewall module). As of now I have no problems anymore with BD besides that they take action by themselves on a file and such. I prefer 100% control over the actions since it is my data they could be potentially messing with. Set and forget can be a bigger problem than having to chose yourself. Even if that person was a novice.

Emsisoft has a big problem with VirtualBox. If you don't uninstall it completely, it BSOD your computer and then it doesn't boot. You'd have to go into safe mode (without networking, other wise it would crash to - probably because it might load up VirtualBox network drivers), and manually remove it and it's left over registry files. Even the registry itself was enough to make EAM or EIS freak out. Every AV has it's short comings. BD does it's job very well but is unfortunately bugged. I guess they are too focused on protection in signatures than fixing those bugs (signatures are extremely time consuming - and in my opinion, don't matter that much anymore - it's those zero day features that you'd want to have).

If you can fix your problem, I'd keep BD. If you can't within a short time, I'd move on to something else. You shouldn't have to put in time to fix a problem like this. The AV is suppose to prevent, not cause problems. Best of luck to you @breathejustice and sorry for the rant. It's a habit I can't kick.

I had used Norton IS.
But after upgrading to new Norton IS, it gave me too many false positive.
So, I am testing Bitdefender IS.

I am going to test the other software such as kaspersky or ESET...
I reviewed av-comparatives report, and kaspersky is better than ESET in blocking virus or malware.
But I do not know there may exist the Bitdefedern-like bugs in kaspersky and ESET.
Can you suggest which of the two software is better ?

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I had used Norton IS.
But after upgrading to new Norton IS, it gave me too many false positive.
So, I am testing Bitdefender IS.

I am going to test the other software such as kaspersky or ESET...
I reviewed av-comparatives report, and kaspersky is better than ESET in blocking virus or malware.
But I do not know there may exist the Bitdefedern-like bugs in kaspersky and ESET.
Can you suggest which of the two software is better ?

It's a bit hard for me to say which is better (Kaspersky or ESET). I personally use ESET Smart Security. Very good web blocking, very good virus and adware blocking. It's only weakness is zero day protection (unless you use interactive HIPS which will bug you about everything thing, both legit and bad actions. As for Kaspersky it is very good at blocking viruses, very good at zero day (unknown malware), I believe it is good at web blocking to, but poor at blocking adware. ESET is lighter on RAM and is in general lighter feeling on system performance. Kaspersky in my experience sometimes wasn't able to start up it's protection services on restart/cold boot/warm boot and slows the system down sometimes. Both ESET and Kaspersky have beta builds for it's next lineup which may fix the problems with both.

I'm told that ESET's HIPS is much better in version 9, and I think I've seen someone said Kaspersky 2016 performs better (no idea about it's adware protection though).

As for some other suggestions, I personally would use Emsisoft (anti-malware or internet security), Trend Micro (which is a very good alternative to Norton since it basically operates in the same way, with cloud), or Avast Internet Security. I'm too picky to really recommend anything else. The other 2 would obviously be Kaspersky and ESET.

Last edited:

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
It's a bit hard for me to say which is better (Kaspersky or ESET). I personally use ESET Smart Security. Very good web blocking, very good virus and adware blocking. It's only weakness is zero day protection (unless you use interactive HIPS which will bug you about everything thing, both legit and bad actions. As for Kaspersky it is very good at blocking viruses, very good at zero day (unknown malware), I believe it is good at web blocking to, but poor at blocking adware. ESET is lighter on RAM and is in general lighter feeling on system performance. Kaspersky in my experience sometimes wasn't able to start up it's protection services on restart/cold boot/warm boot and slows the system down sometimes. Both ESET and Kaspersky have beta builds for it's next lineup which may fix the problems with both.

I'm told that ESET's HIPS is much better in version 9, and I think I've seen someone said Kaspersky 2016 performs better (no idea about it's adware protection though).

As for some other suggestions, I personally would use Emsisoft (anti-malware or internet security), Trend Micro (which is a very good alternative to Norton since it basically operates in the same way, with cloud), or Avast Internet Security. I'm too picky to really recommend anything else. The other 2 would obviously be Kaspersky and ESET.
Thanks.. You helped me to choose a security software

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Did you use Norton removal tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us when you uninstalled Norton IS?

The only time I had problems with Bitdefender is when I tested it on Windows 8 shortly after its release.My experience with Norton is that it is a pain to uninstall.Using the Norton Removal tool is recommended and even then there might be leftovers.If Norton is not completely removed then that might be a reason for the BSOD's

Can you suggest a good internet security software except norton ?
ESET Smart Security,Kaspersky Internet Security,Emsisoft Internet Security(if you use Oracle Virtual Box this is not an option)
You can grab a 90 day trial of ESS 8 here http://malwaretips.com/threads/eset-smart-security-3-months-free-trial.48065/
My suggestion would be to try a few out and see which one works best for you

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
Did you use Norton removal tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us when you uninstalled Norton IS?

The only time I had problems with Bitdefender is when I tested it on Windows 8 shortly after its release.My experience with Norton is that it is a pain to uninstall.Using the Norton Removal tool is recommended and even then there might be leftovers.If Norton is not completely removed then that might be a reason for the BSOD's

ESET Smart Security,Kaspersky Internet Security,Emsisoft Internet Security(if you use Oracle Virtual Box this is not an option)
You can grab a 90 day trial of ESS 8 here http://malwaretips.com/threads/eset-smart-security-3-months-free-trial.48065/
My suggestion would be to try a few out and see which one works best for you
After I had experienced a blue screen problem, I used norton removal tool and then reinstall bitdefender.
Until now, I have not experienced a blue screen. But, I need to test further.

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.