Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Don't Ditch SMS, But Change the Way You Use It:

Banks are facing a dilemma in using SMS messages to help authenticate their customers. On one hand, fraudsters are targeting such systems more. On the other, it is a method customers are accustomed to using...

text-messaging-adobe-365.jpg

IMAGE: ADOBE STOCK

Banks, like many other industries, rely on SMS-based notifications as part of two-factor authentication protocols, but there is rising pressure for them to use other methods. But should they shelve it altogether? Security experts say that is probably a step too far for now.

Ditching text messaging and shifting to a new form of authentication would likely confuse customers, security experts say. Instead, financial institutions should take a more nuanced approach, said Rich Rezek, vice president of market development for authentication solutions for the tech vendor Early Warning.

In implementing any new fraud measures, banks must always weigh the risk of fraud versus the customer experience, said Yossi Zekri, chief executive of Acuant, an authentication technology provider.

Common ways for a criminal to compromise an SMS authenticator include remotely hacking a phone and having the texts forward to a different phone, or to a computer via voice over internet protocol, Rezek said. In that scenario, the bank could utilize technology behind the scenes that observes how users behave and interact with the bank using digital devices, and send alerts when there are signs of fraud. For example, technology could detect if the device interacting with the bank is the one registered or a different mobile device or even a computer.

To read the full article please visit the link at the top of the page

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

I better understand the worrying numbers on your precedent post :confused:
Security Alert - Malware found In 75% Of The Top 20 Banks In The U.S.

I think know it would increase :rolleyes:

For almost all concerning banks, I never use my phone directly : only physical bank or on my PC, with security softwares, and a temp confirmation code by sms :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.