Advice Request Best Free Duplicate File Finder to clean up system?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I want to clean up my computer from duplicate files. I have a lot of duplicates and the PC is full of clutter. I'm not sure this is the best place to post it so please let me know if it isn't.

What free software do you recommend to do this?
I know the free version of CCleaner has this function, but maybe there's something better out there?
Thanks!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I want to clean up my computer from duplicate files. I have a lot of duplicates and the PC is full of clutter. I'm not sure this is the best place to post it so please let me know if it isn't.

What free software do you recommend to do this?
I know the free version of CCleaner has this function, but maybe there's something better out there?
Thanks!
Better not anyhow remove duplicate files found by any duplicate file finder software. Many articles on this subject are available for discussion on the net.

I suggest you read this article before deleting duplicate files

How To Delete Duplicate Files (Safely)

liona jackson

Dec 9, 2016
Same situation was for me before but when i installed Long Path Tool, my computer was organized easily and i got relaxed from everyday files and junk.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Better not anyhow remove duplicate files found by any duplicate file finder software. Many articles on this subject are available for discussion on the net.

I suggest you read this article before deleting duplicate files

How To Delete Duplicate Files (Safely)

Good advice , IMO .

Running the finder in CCleaner ( for example ) shows many "duplicates " , but a closer look shows that
although the files may have duplicate names , the absolute paths to the files are different .

That fact alone would make me wary of troubling them .

Reactions: Nevi and Ink

Joshua Rover

Apr 9, 2017
Hi,

We have "Duplicate Files Deleter" is our system optimization and a simple, but effective tool to locate 'Duplicate Files' in one or more selected search paths - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

It scans the files and compares them based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures 100% accuracy. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.

You can go through this link to check 'How it works':-

-Joshua Rover

LAwindsurfer

Jan 9, 2019
I've used "Easy Duplicate Finder" on 64 bit Win7 and 32 bit WinXP machines. The last paragraph in the post describes a problem to which I am seeking.

On the Win7 64 bit machine, I particularly like the feature that allows me to delete all the duplicates within a given directory when a duplicate has been found in that directory. In most cases, I'm pretty sure where the redundant files are stored, and I want to clean out those directories, but I don't want to delete anything that is not replicated elsewhere. That feature enabled me to do that very quickly. Using another tool, I was able to quickly delete the resulting empty directories.

The above, "delete all in given directory," feature does not seem to be present on the WinXP 32 bit machine installation.

On the Winxp 32 bit machine, when commanding the deletion of a group of selected files, the machine will return the message that some of those files have not been deleted. Going back and "trying again" yields the same result even after a substantial wait, yet I can immediately delete each file manually one by one. Most all of the reasons listed for why a file or files can't be deleted don't make sense inasmuch as I can delete files one by one. When seeking to delete some groups of files, "Easy Duplicate Finder" does tax the processor to the point where it is consuming half of processor resources, but whether or not the deletion fails does not seem to be related to processor load or required processing time. As I've sorted the files by size, all the files in any deletion group are roughly the same size; it is not that I'm accidentally including a large file into the group. The deletion problem does not seem to be tied to where individual files are located in some higher level directories or the type of file being deleted.

Suggestions on how to get around the problem will be welcomed.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
This thread motivated me to check for duplicate files. I did so, using Kerish Doctor (KD). I selected 2 filters:
1- I set KD to identify files with duplicate contents.
2- I then set KD to delete only those files, as identified by filter 1, that had oldest creation dates.

Based on those 2 filters, KD deleted a surprising total of 1940 files to the Recycle Bin. :oops:

By the way, KD is OT for this thread because it's not free. I only posted here in order to show the filters I used. KD offers several choices for filters 1 & 2.

I would welcome any comments as to whether the 2 filters I chose were (or were not) sufficiently safe.

I will not empty Recycle Bin of the deleted dupes for at least 10 days, in case of *problems*. I also made a full image of C drive prior to deleting the dupes -- just in case.

Last edited:

Richard Green

Mar 25, 2023
I use DuplicateFilesDeleter Program in my pc to speed up my device by removing duplicates files, photos and videos etc.

It is an amazing tool with powerful feature​
Unnecessary files includes duplicate files ,photos and other items that exists twice or more into your PC in different folders and Locations and to get ride of it you cn use ‘’DuplicateFilesDeleter’’​
DuplicateFilesDeleter program is a very easy, superfast app to help you with unnecessary files .​

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.