Status
Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
CIS, COMODO INTERNET SECURITY , seems a good option but his antivirus is weak.- free
360 Total SECURITY - free, is realy good in detection but don't have firewall, he don't need a firewall cause according the companie, 360 has an advanced tecnology to stop threats - I read this in 360 web page.
ZONE ALARM is another great IS. has kaspersky engine, I think... not sure. - free
I do not remember other reputable products for free but there may be more.
choose the best option for you. CIS is light and offer much more than others...
360 is also free and has bitdefender engine + Avira+ qihoo cloud signatures... but for me isn't a polish product, need improvements.
Zone alarm is free but don't give to you all the features present in paid version.
only comodo gives to you almost all the features presents in their paid version.

M

MalwareT

It's not always in detection,sandbox is a crown of CIS and i never had infection because i tweaked it to max. ZoneAlarm is not great because it has awful UI,eats RAM and for every single infection requires a restart.

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

CIS : my opinion.

Good scanning speed and removal (improved in recent versions).

If you set the Defense + level on Paranoid (for example you can select Paranoid before starting any suspicious program), is one of the most robust antivirus. Whenever I tried to infect a system protected by Comodo Antivirus with a virus or unknown malware, the threats were always detected as widely suspected, and I've always been proposed to lock them (provided that Defense + were on paranoid, otherwise it is not the same thing).

Certainly increase the FP and we should be careful what we delete.;)

Reactions: frogboy

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Here are my suggestion.

1. Use Comodo Internet Security if you want to use their firewall. Single product will take care of it. ( Single Suit, less Compatibility Issues)
2. Avast Free + Comodo Firewall. ( Good Free Protection)
3. 360 TS + Glass Wire ( Personal Favourite )
4. Bitdefender Free + Windows Firewall ( The light Weight Solution)

Decision is completely yours. Nonee provide 100% protection and none of them are bug free :p

Reactions: WinXPert

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
When we say 'best' then so far which excels throughout the category is CIS holds down. *

* You need to verify all the configuration to make it very effective, a little maintainance and effort needed.

Meanwhile Qihoo 360 IS is also good but you will deal on HIPS which is primarily turn off for default as its more on user based decision.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

@Sloth

You have to try different AV and other security softs to see which works best on your specific system - and which works best for you.

If you are looking for a well-integrated internet security suite that is also freeware, then there really is no alternative to Comodo Internet Security. What I mean by that is that there is no freeware that is comparable in terms of features.

Yes. Comodo's AV is relatively weak, but you can supplement it with Malwarebytes free.

Alternatively, you can cobble a suite together - for example - Sandboxie free, Avira or Bitdefender free, Personal Firewall or TinyWall - the choices and combos are wide-ranging. However, I have learned through hard-won experience, that CIS serves me better than building a piece-by-piece security config... CIS covers a lot of ground with its configurability.

There is no right answer, but reliability on your specific system is paramount... for it makes no sense to keep any soft that doesn't work well - for the vast majority of the time... which means 99.9 dependability.

Best Regards,

HJLBX

S

Sr. Normal

Here are my suggestion.

1. Use Comodo Internet Security if you want to use their firewall. Single product will take care of it. ( Single Suit, less Compatibility Issues)
2. Avast Free + Comodo Firewall. ( Good Free Protection)
3. 360 TS + Glass Wire ( Personal Favourite )
4. Bitdefender Free + Windows Firewall ( The light Weight Solution)

Decision is completely yours. Nonee provide 100% protection and none of them are bug free :p

I tried your suggestion Glass Wire in a partition for testz and I have to say that I love this concept.It does not slow down your computer and gives timely information outgoing traffic. I think it's a very interesting soft. Very good suggestion, thanks :)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I tried your suggestion Glass Wire in a partition for testz and I have to say that I love this concept.It does not slow down your computer and gives timely information outgoing traffic. I think it's a very interesting soft. Very good suggestion, thanks :)

There is another advantage of Glass Wire. Since it uses Windows Default firewall and it enhances it, this firewall is compatible with almost every other software ;)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Avast free + Glasswire (my current config)

Works really well, Glasswire provides a bunch of info but isn't able to stop threats immediately unless you buy the premium version which lets you change more settings than the free version.

Another good candidate to go with Avast is comodo firewall, because it has HIPS (which Avast would have in the next version). Also there is sandboxing for threat analysis if you are running a risky file.

360TS is really good too but I am a little skeptical about the entire model being free and such. Use at your own risk. Also cloud AVs are generally lighter than signature based AVs so that would be nice seeing how Glasswire or Comodo itself is already a little heavy on the system, not to mention that Comodo software is always a little buggy at times and could increase boot time by a significant amount if you run into any of the bugs.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Comodo is user-hostile. If you want to spend days figuring it out and when you think you've got it, "Oh, that's a bug" or "Oh the manual should have read..." ultimately never knowing if the thing works properly, have at it. The only leg it stands on is that it auto-sandboxes everything that hasn't been ordained safe (which isn't as much as it should be), which means the user has to make all the decisions...constantly. If you're a micromanager from the ninth circle of Hell, then you should be in Heaven. :D I'd call it a well-integrated kludge.

Outbound firewall: why? If you don't trust an app, then don't run it (or run in in a VM, not a breakable sandbox). If you want to specifically block an app, Windows Firewall can do that. Windows Firewall already blocks apps that aren't digitally signed by trusted vendors until you block/allow on private/public/work networks with an easy, unobtrusive popup. Firewalls are to block incoming traffic and it does that.

If you still insist, I like TinyWall; it locks down Windows Firewall and you can semi-automatically open things up. I didn't like the Sphinx one since it was another firewall on top of the Windows Firewall; it didn't "control" Windows firewall at all. The Binisoft one looked promising but I have no way to test it's pop-up ability without buying it first (a time-limited trial would be nice).

Glasswire is pretty cool and I may run it...still undecided on it's effects (local proxy)...think I'll run it until 29 July anyway.

360TS is fantastic and it does have HIPS, BB already and other nifty security features. If you aren't running Win10, I recommend the TS Essentials version (none of that cleanup/disable services unnecessaryware); the TS has a Win10 version. QIHU makes their money like Google does: search engine and advertising; they compete with Baidu and Tencent. 360TS has zero advertising or anything. It's a sleeper car of the security suites. cf. http://corp.360.cn/ot/cloud-basedtechnologies.html

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Comodo is user-hostile. If you want to spend days figuring it out and when you think you've got it, "Oh, that's a bug" or "Oh the manual should have read..." ultimately never knowing if the thing works properly, have at it. The only leg it stands on is that it auto-sandboxes everything that hasn't been ordained safe (which isn't as much as it should be), which means the user has to make all the decisions...constantly. If you're a micromanager from the ninth circle of Hell, then you should be in Heaven. :D I'd call it a well-integrated kludge.

Outbound firewall: why? If you don't trust an app, then don't run it (or run in in a VM, not a breakable sandbox). If you want to specifically block an app, Windows Firewall can do that. Windows Firewall already blocks apps that aren't digitally signed by trusted vendors until you block/allow on private/public/work networks with an easy, unobtrusive popup. Firewalls are to block incoming traffic and it does that.

If you still insist, I like TinyWall; it locks down Windows Firewall and you can semi-automatically open things up. I didn't like the Sphinx one since it was another firewall on top of the Windows Firewall; it didn't "control" Windows firewall at all. The Binisoft one looked promising but I have no way to test it's pop-up ability without buying it first (a time-limited trial would be nice).

Glasswire is pretty cool and I may run it...still undecided on it's effects (local proxy)...think I'll run it until 29 July anyway.

360TS is fantastic and it does have HIPS, BB already and other nifty security features. If you aren't running Win10, I recommend the TS Essentials version (none of that cleanup/disable services unnecessaryware); the TS has a Win10 version. QIHU makes their money like Google does: search engine and advertising; they compete with Baidu and Tencent. 360TS has zero advertising or anything. It's a sleeper car of the security suites. cf. http://corp.360.cn/ot/cloud-basedtechnologies.html
this 360 link is very useful. thanks @Rolo for that info about qihoo.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I really dont like Comodo, too bugged and instable for my taste.

My favorite free setup is:

Avira free 2015 (without web protection) + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free + Open DNS + Unchecky + uBlock on Chrome.

(very light and powerful combo, all "bases" covered and free)

In the place of Comodo I would use Glass Wire as well, very good app ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.