Battle Best Linux-based OS for dual-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
I'm planning to dual-boot my Windows 8 64 bit system with a Linux-based OS, since many of my friends are recommending me in trying it.

I'm not so sure what Linux OS is the best, since there are many versions and variants.
So I'm open for suggestions.

I prefer the latest edition of the OS.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I use and am very happy with Linux Mint 15 Olivia (Cinnamon) it's very stable and user friendly. You can always test a distro out on a usb flash pen before you install it to see which suits you best.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have Linux Mint 14 and Xubuntu 12.04 on our laptops. They are based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is very stable. I had no issues with it. Of course the newer versions are going to be better, but I don't like to use them because I have to upgrade every 9 months with a non LTS release, whereas with an LTS release I have to upgrade after it has been 5 years since its release! But a new LTS version releases every 2 years. If you have no problem with upgrading at a maximum of 9 months go with Linux Mint 15 or go with 14 if you are lazy to upgrade. :D Also note that with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and few others are able to upgrade without a reinstall, something which Linux Mint can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.