Best tool for cleaning infected PC

P

plat1098

"Badly" is the operative word. I'd wipe the OS also. Emsisoft Emerg. Kit and RogueKiller for attempting initial detections and to clean less dire infections, like PUPs or something.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Having attempted to clean my system using the tools described above I would try to back up my personal data to a external hard drive (a separate hard drive from one used for any earlier backups).

I would then definitely re-install Windows, which really doesnt take that long. (I might consider wiping the PC with Darik's Nuke and Boot first although probably unnecessary). Once windows is installed I would download a trial version of a good quality anti-virus like Kaspersky or Norton. I would then plug in my extenal hard drive with my backed up data and perform an antivirus scan on that. If all clear, I would then copy my data back onto the PC and perform an antivirus scan of the entire system. I might run Norton Power Eraser or similar in addition to that just to make sure.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have a question - when you reinstall the os, how do you restore your files? Cuz, if you do, it's like you haven't reinstalled it, right? Or, if you only restore some files, then how do you know that those haven't been infected? It wipes the purpose of formatting which is to make sure that everything is clean since scanners aren't some god-made programs that can detect everything, right? So, basically you have to literally start from a clean os, and every file that you've ever used on a computer with internet can be infected at any time and you wouldn't know unless the scanners happen to detect it which only happens if the malware has been detected previously, but what if you were infected with some malware years ago and the malware author never decided to activate it, so since the malware isn't doing anything bad it wouldn't be detected by behaviour analyzers and stuff, and it also wouldn't be detected by signatures, obviously. Chance is small for that to happen but it's there, better watch out for lightnings when you exit the door of your house
When we mention "backup your files" I assume we mean pictures, videos and documents. Aka sensitive data. Do not backup download folders, windows files, etc. If your Windows is infected, a system image of it is infected as well. Only perform system images when you know you're clean, like when you just formatted and installed everything. It's very strange that your sensitive data may be infected, maybe hit by ransomware. But to be infected and act independent without infected Windows files it's very weird. I also recommend that you upload your sensitive information to the cloud. First encrypt it and upload it. This way you don't have to back it up. But do make system images.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I particularly prefer to format the PC

But if you do not want to, my favorites tools are:
1- Hitman Pro (Kaspersky, Bitdefender signatures are great)
2- Eset Online Scanner
3- Zemana Antimalware
4- Malwarebytes (good for removing registry and folders remaining of adwares)

To keep the PC always clean COMODO Firewall (cruelsister settings) :sneaky:

Reactions: amico81

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.