Bitcoin ‘Biggest Bubble In Human History’ Says Economist Who Predicted 2008 Financial Crash

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Nouriel Roubini, the man who successfully predicted the 2008 global financial crisis has called Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency, the ‘mother of all [speculative] bubbles’ as its price sunk below $8,000 last Friday.
At the time of writing, the value of Bitcoin sat at $ 7,700, just over 60% down on its $20,000 high December peak. Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg last last week, Roubini, who works for New York University, and also runs his own company, cast doubts on the utility and general usefulness of blockchain in general.

bitcoin-coins-illustration-3d.jpg

Is Bitcoin and all the other cryptocurrencies on its way out? Roubini seems to think so.

We’re all doomed, doomed I tell you, doomed; probably
Before being proved right, Roubini was publicly labeled as “Dr. Doom” by other economists and media commentators when he successfully predicted that the the biggest financial crash since the 1930s was imminent back in 2007.

“This [Bitcoin] is the mother of all bubbles,” Roubini told Bloomberg when asked. “It is also the biggest bubble in human history if you compare it to Mississippi bubble, tech bubble, and Tulip mania. Bitcoin has crashed over 60 per cent compared to the peak of mid-December. It crashed 30 per cent last week and 10 per cent today [Saturday]. It is on the way down to zero. The fundamental value of Bitcoin is zero”.

Dust and Shadows
Roubini also said he was skeptical of many who were involved in Bitcoin, saying it was being promoted and used by “charlatans and swindlers”.

The (now) highly acclaimed economist said that the dramatic downward price drops in recent weeks were the start of a crash that would see the nascent digital currency sink “all the way down to zero”.

Roubini continued: “Policymakers and regulators are getting worried. Pretty much every G20 policymaker is talking about a crackdown. We can’t allow it to become the next Swiss bank account for use by criminals and people evading tax”.

Conspiracy or fact?
Following his interview with Bloomberg, Roubini courted controversy by commenting on rampant market manipulation by traders in the unregulated market, by tweeting: “Bitcoin price heading south over the weekend towards a $7K handle (now down over 10% in last 24 hours to $8.2K). Will the wash traders react on Monday as they did on Friday and manipulate again the price upwards?”.

Roubini also claimed that Bitcoin mining was an environmental catastrophe if its soaring energy costs were taken into account.

Roubini didn’t just offer criticism of Bitcoin however. Of the 1300 plus other cryptocurrencies in existence, “most of them are even worse…[and constitute] a bubble to the power of two or three”.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I don't see it dropping to zero at any point but i do see other central banks coming in and purchasing some crypto themselves. The prices have dropped every time a government body came out saying first it will ban the exchanges then come out later saying only to regulate the exchanges. Putting the fear in holders or hodls of crypto in those countries. South Korea, India. They both hold a large percent of the market for crypto. My opinion, driving the market down on purpose to buy in at cheaper prices. US Government gave somewhat of a green light to crypto yesterday giving the crypto market a $83 Billion boost overnight. US Gov gives cryptocurrency the green light - markets respond with an $83 billion one day boost! - Global Cryptocurrency Press - The latest in bitcoin and cryptocurrency.. I personally do not own any Bitcoin but i do have Ethereum and Litecoin. Still holding onto both. Honestly if it was to somehow go to zero, i could careless. You only gamble with what you can afford to lose people. Crypto will be a never ending debate for the next decade.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Whatever, Nouriel...

1). People who actually bought (even as late as Jan 2017) and kept Bitcoins are still up 800% even after this 50% pullback. The folk that will get hurt are those that consistently buy things at the top of the market. Is Bitcoin currently overvalued? Absolutely.
Will it go to Zero? Absolutely not.

2). "cast doubts on the utility and general usefulness of blockchain in general." Tell that to IBM, Nouriel. They already have developed a BlockChain platform: https://www.ibm.com/blockchain/platform/

which is in place at Maersk in order to streamline trade and payments. And I won't even mention Oracle's BlockChain Cloud Service.

Mr. Roubini may have called (lucked out) the 08 crash, but he is certainly shortsighted about this.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
Blockchain has significant potential. HUGE! Cryptocurrencies - not so much. ALL of them are backed by ..... NOTHING! Only electrons. Heh. And since electricity is based on the square root of negative One - which does NOT exist - I guess it all makes sense. :)

Will they go to Zero? Most of them - Yes. Not so a handful of them including most likely Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple (Love that one and may pick up a few myself cause I love the name and remember Ripplin :) )

Governments buying a ton of them? LMFAO That is just a conspiracy toy.

[Don't forget though there was consideration by Obama Administration to create a cryptocurrency several years ago - nominal value? 1 Trillion $. National Debt? POOF! Gone. ROTF]

In typical fashion, governments and regulators sat around and watched a totally unregulated thing take place - ICOs. The SEC and CFTC finally took notice. (As will the FTC. No doubt NSA is already knee deep.) That is one of the main reasons for the recent meltdowns. Of course it will take quite some time and likely additional legislation. So nothing HUGE will happen on that front for awhile.

So you still have some time and remember the key words of (investing haha).

Buy low - sell high or
Just Buy the Bleeping Dips

It is just too bad it is nearly impossible to Short these things except at large scale (Futures - and even there these are not for the little guy.)

And FWIW, Nouriel Roubini was not the only economist that foresaw 2008. There were many of us.

Reactions: Weebarra and Rengar

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Some years ago i buyed 12 Bitcoins for Like 1000 Dollar and buyed something on the darknet. I feel so stupid.

Reactions: Weebarra

Whatever, Nouriel...

1). People who actually bought (even as late as Jan 2017) and kept Bitcoins are still up 800% even after this 50% pullback. The folk that will get hurt are those that consistently buy things at the top of the market. Is Bitcoin currently overvalued? Absolutely.
Will it go to Zero? Absolutely not.

2). "cast doubts on the utility and general usefulness of blockchain in general." Tell that to IBM, Nouriel. They already have developed a BlockChain platform: https://www.ibm.com/blockchain/platform/

which is in place at Maersk in order to streamline trade and payments. And I won't even mention Oracle's BlockChain Cloud Service.

Mr. Roubini may have called (lucked out) the 08 crash, but he is certainly shortsighted about this.

Blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies are two different things. Blockchain technology has utility far beyond a token or coin, but the concept of selling tokens or coins as "shares" is cracker jack. The real winners will be exchanges (e.g. Coinbase) after everybody goes for broke and the companies that parlay blockchain offshoot technology into revenue streams.

The dream of decentralized currency and thereby decentralized banking is not new. It has been tried before. And failed. The digital age will make it no less easy to accomplish.

If (I'm thinking when) Tether gets exposed as a fraud, the market implosion will be immediate. No institutional money will touch cryptos until full regulation is implemented worldwide - and that means most current exchanges are gone, tokens\coins are fully trackable, peer-to-peer is banned, heavy-handed regulations to prevent the rampant market manipulation, etc. In other words, all the stuff that the crypto purists say the cryptos will usher in this decentralized banking revolution. Sorry. Blockchain technology will usher in technological revolution. Cryptos won't do much except make a very few a whole lot more rich and make a lot of people poorer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.