App Review Bitdefender Free Anti Virus Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Nice test, but it never fully updated, when you look at protection last update time there was no date and time, so it was not fully loaded with signatures.

Ps: BD free is already on version 1.0.5.14

There was also another test earlier this month

Video Review - Bitdefender Free Antivirus 2017 Review

The only way to compare, do a battle test with the same samples ;)

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Wow BD Free did impressively well.
Thanks for that vid.
It did indeed & thanks for watching :)

Nice test, but it never fully updated, when you look at protection last update time there was no date and time, so it was not fully loaded with signatures.

Ps: BD free Internet Security already on version 1.0.5.14

There was also another test earlier this month

Video Review - Bitdefender Free Antivirus 2017 Review

The only way to compare, do a battle test with the same samples ;)
Thanks & actually I'm pretty sure it did update - at the beginning the update process was still going but I checked afterwards & it had added a time. It should have updated anyway because I gave it plenty of time to do so before starting the test as well.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks & actually I'm pretty sure it did update - at the beginning the update process was still going but I checked afterwards & it had added a time. It should have updated anyway because I gave it plenty of time to do so before starting the test as well.

Actually from the video you can see the update running. It takes quite some time and if it uses CPU, it's scanning for updates/downloading them. This process is normally invisible/not running.
So it's hard to say if it finished before you began the test. It's rather strange way of updating - no way to manually start it and no indication of it running (except in Task manager).

Great video!

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Actually from the video you can see the update running. It takes quite some time and if it uses CPU, it's scanning for updates/downloading them. This process is normally invisible/not running.
So it's hard to say if it finished before you began the test. It's rather strange way of updating - no way to manually start it and no indication of it running (except in Task manager).

Great video!
Thanks, yeah I think it's weird how you cannot do a manual update but hopefully it finished before the test.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Great! What is the ram usage? Does it feel as heavy as Bitdefender Total Security 2017? Or is it light like previous free versions?
Devenetly lighter than the total or paid security suits from bitdefender. im runing it with voodooshield pro and the combo is amazing! bitdefender alomst miss nothing, it caught every rough malware i tested but the pup detection is ridiclious bad. it caught no pup at all.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Great! What is the ram usage? Does it feel as heavy as Bitdefender Total Security 2017? Or is it light like previous free versions?
Thanks :) I actually said in the video - there are several processes & I would say that it's not too heavy. Please watch the video before asking for the RAM usage :) It's not even that far into the video...

Devenetly lighter than the total or paid security suits from Bitdefender. im runing it with voodooshield pro and the combo is amazing! Bitdefender alomst miss nothing, it caught every rough malware i tested but the pup detection is ridiclious bad. it caught no pup at all.
Yeah Bitdefender does a good job but PUPs are it's weak point. Sounds like it will work great with Comodo & VoodooShield though :D

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi MalwareBlocker , i am Mr.Pr which of cours you can call me Parham , i'm falling in love with your accent every day more than yesterday :D : ))) Thanks Bro nice Review ( i truly hate Bitdefender! only reason to watch was your accent : )) )
Hi there :) Thanks :D If you don't mind me asking, why do you not like Bitdefender? Also don't worry because more AV tests are coming soon & I've done a decent amount already.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
you better include DrWeb in those upcoming tests :) or i will... : ))

well there are 2 reasons to be hate of BD,

1- they Support ( specialy their chat support ) are rude.
2- this is important one! just take a look at this article : http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/07/31/bitdefender-hacked/
where is official BD statement against that claim ( uncrypted passwords? :| ) after 2 years, still no answer...

Reactions: Polygon and ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Great video,I have the total protection installed and that too is very light on system resources.:)

Reactions: Polygon

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.