Bitdefender free av??

Status
Not open for further replies.

souhrid

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 29, 2012
I would like to know more about bitdefender free av,does it provide essential security????!Is it worth trying????

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't tried Bitdefender Free Antivirus, but a current thread you could check out:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Bitdefender-free-good-enough

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender Free AV provides on cloud based feature with web guard filter.

Simple product and no user interaction.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
souhrid said:
I would like to know more about bitdefender free av,does it provide essential security????!Is it worth trying????

I used it some time and here are my impressions:

Pros:
- superb detection
- nice interface, easy installation
- silent

Cons:
- it uses too much resources for such a simple program
- a lot of false positives
- few program bugs

In overall, I think this is very good software, and it has great potential to become equal rival to other free AV's

Keep in mind that this is still "young" product and it still has some bugs to be adressed, and some features to be added.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Has a great web filter, pretty light but lacks some options.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
souhrid said:

I advise you to do more research before trying it, users are having all kinds of problems with it. I don't believe it is comparable with other free AV's.

Note: Uninstalling it will leave behind boot drives that will still load at your system startup and cause problems. BitDefender Removal Tool fails to remove these boot drivers. Unless you known how to manually remove boot drivers, I don't recommend installing it.

Other threads to read:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Disappointed-With-Bitdefender
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Why-so-many-Bitdefender-license-giveaways
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-MyBitDefender-Dashboard-bugs

Enjoy!!:D

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Noted on the new video review of Bitdefender Free it has a behaviour monitor/blocker, and it has an "unblock" function for quarantined files.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
One way to find out if it's good or not is to actually give it a test drive.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
My opinion:
If you are searching for free protection for your PC Avast is a far better choice than BD free. I have used it for years and did not have problems. Also it's the most used free AV and maybe the most used AV in general at this time and most users find it fine. Don't forget about common sense though (don't visit sites that can be considered as risky etc). Some users report some bugs but this does not mean that it's unusually buggy in contrast to BD for example. More users means that the portion of problems will "contain" a larger amount of users having problems. Also BD is said to causing problems to many people's computers.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
McLovin said:
One way to find out if it's good or not is to actually give it a test drive.
Exactly! How does one know if one likes Crème Brûlée or not, if one has never tasted it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some users satisfied from a fact word of mouth so when satisfied its a time to install and test instead to be a primary protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.