Battle BitDefender SafePay is now dead :( What should I use instead?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Currently using: AV: Avira Antivirus Free, FW: Comodo Firewall Free.

I am a regular user of internet baking. Better safe than sorry. That's why I want additional software/browser just for banking. I reinstalled my computer and I was downloading my apps and I couldn't find BitDefender SafePay, that's why I contacted their support and got this reply:

"Unfortunately, Safepay standalone application is no longer available.Thus, we can only suggest the home-user security solutions that have the Safepay module integrated."

Can you guys, please, offer me alternative to this application? I guess I could continue using last available SafePay but they probably won't update it anymore and using updated security app is equally dangerous as using none, right?

Please, DO NOT offer me these solutions:

Change my current setup or software uncompatible with it: I am happy with Avira and won't switch to BitDefender entirely just for that one app. Please reccommend compatible soft only.

Linux/LiveCD: It's uncofortable to reboot everytime and I don't think it's necessarily safer, because LiveCD can't be updated!

Using nothing: I want to use software for that! You may say that if my system is not infected then I have no reason not use anything OR I should make sure my PC is uninfected. It's like saying if my home is not safe then I shouldn't live in it and I don't need safe, yet I still have safe even if I think my home is safe.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Hello RXZ6Q,
Avira provides a browser called Avira Scout, but it is nothing more than a branded Chromium with a few extensions (generally available also for any other browser). It DOES NOT isolate the browser from the other processes. Bitdefender Safepay is indeed still available, it just doesn't exist as a standalone product. It can be started from the paid Bitdefender user interfaces through a button.

Comodo also provides more than one browsers, but they are also nothing more than a branded Chromium or forked Firefox (both are open source projects). I would generally stay away from these branded or forked versions. Chrome, being the flagship Chromium-based browser or the official Mozilla Firefox are better (you can add addons/extensions for protection). Comodo Firewall has a feature called Virtual Desktop. You can run apps inside it and they will be isolated from your real system. It would also isolate the inner desktop (Comodo Virtual) from processes of the outer one (Windows) them from keyloggers, which is the difference between Virtual Desktop and Comodo Sandbox. Comodo Dragon seems to be integrated with Virtual Desktop, so i guess that for online banking you can use it. Another browser which you can use is Avast SafeZone. Like the Avira's one, it is also a Chromium fork (it basically looks like Opera), but it has one edge. It offers a banking mode, which controls the access of outside processes to the browser when run in that mode. I guess that this is what you are looking for. Kasperky also has a SafeMoney feature which basically works the same way.

Reactions: RXZ6Q

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I am a regular user of internet baking.

Is that like 3-D printing, only for desserts? :D

Using nothing: I want to use software for that! You may say that if my system is not infected then I have no reason not use anything OR I should make sure my PC is uninfected. It's like saying if my home is not safe then I shouldn't live in it and I don't need safe, yet I still have safe even if I think my home is safe.

I can't imagine how forked, out-of-date browsers are supposed to be more secure than regular Chrome, Firefox, Edge.

I have a fire-proof safe so I don't have to grab my irreplaceable documents if/when the smoke alarm goes off. I wouldn't open the safe during a fire; likewise, I wouldn't do online banking if my system were compromised. The analogy doesn't quite fit; I see these browsers as just gimmicks.

Since you've excluded "do nothing, just keep the whole system secure", I can only suggest making a virtual machine and *only* do your banking on it; this way, you know it is uncompromised--assuming the host isn't compromised with something capturing network traffic and keystrokes. (See? You have to have an uninfected computer. Period.)

OK, so take 2 on this idea: Get another PC and only ever do online banking with it. Secure it with PCI-DSS checklists. Ensure it is on an isolated network at your router. Restrict physical access to it.

Avast SafeZone is part of Avast, so that's out.

Comodo Virtual Desktop is a feature of Comodo Internet Security, isn't it? If so, that's out.

I think you're going to have to switch to one of these two products (or use VirtualBox, et. al.) and give up Avira since it isn't providing the type of security you want.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 19494

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@RXZ6Q Just use a separate updated browser. If you have Windows 10, use Edge. Otherwise install another browser or use UPDATED IE which has the option to enable Appcontainer. Use a antikeylogger if you want. You can use Firewall tricks anyway.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Avast SafeZone is part of Avast, so that's out.
Comodo Virtual Desktop is a feature of Comodo Internet Security, isn't it? If so, that's out.
Avast SafeZone is part of Avast, i have told the OP about it in case he decides to use Avast (which i believe has improved lately on features targeted towards zero day malware). In that case he would get SafeZone for free. SafeZone is a Chromium fork, but it is regularly updated (unlike Comodo's forks). Interface-wise it it the same as Opera. Except that it doesn't have extensions except the Avast ones plus an adblocker. It uses the Blink engine and Chromium core so it is a good browser but not an exceptional revolutionary security feature. When the banking mode is turned off, it is not more secure than Chrome (because Chromium is basically Chrome's open source part and Chrome is perfectly inline with Chromium). It has a feature called "Banking mode" which is supposed that Avast antivirus drivers will create a virtual desktop (much like Winlogon's desktops) and will monitor the types of accesses to it. This is not 100% proof as everything in this universe. The probable reason why Bitdefender Safepay was removed as a standalone product is that the Bitdefender developers do not want to spend their time developing two products which are the same but with their own drivers. And maybe a little of the money part.

Comodo Virtual Desktop is available in his own free Comodo Firewall and basically works the same way. Though i think that Comodo Dragon is not as frequently updated and as good developed. Qihoo 360 also has a feature like this, but it is different. When it detects that you visit a banking site, it runs a scan and kills possible unknown processes after you accept it.

A virtual machine separates the host system from the guest (their processes) using processor features and is more secure, but it's network traffic has to go through the host and can be monitored. You can of course use a VPN inside the machine, but some more sophisticated malware might act as a MITM right on your PC and decrypt the connections.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You already have Comodo Firewall installed, use the Virtual Desktop (Kiosk) mode.
Comodo Internet Security, Antivirus protection, Firewall Software | Security Help
  • Virtual Desktop - The Virtual Desktop is a sandboxed operating environment inside of which you can run programs and browse the Internet without fear that those activities will damage your real computer. Featuring a virtual keyboard to thwart key-loggers, home users will find the virtual desktop is ideally suited to sensitive tasks like online banking. Advanced users will appreciate the ability to run beta-software in an environment that will not upset the stability or file structure of their production systems.
I would uninstall Comodo Security Essentials component as per choice, but you can decide.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

You already have Comodo Firewall installed, use the Virtual Desktop (Kiosk) mode.
Comodo Internet Security, Antivirus protection, Firewall Software | Security Help
  • Virtual Desktop - The Virtual Desktop is a sandboxed operating environment inside of which you can run programs and browse the Internet without fear that those activities will damage your real computer. Featuring a virtual keyboard to thwart key-loggers, home users will find the virtual desktop is ideally suited to sensitive tasks like online banking. Advanced users will appreciate the ability to run beta-software in an environment that will not upset the stability or file structure of their production systems.
I would uninstall Comodo Security Essentials component as per choice, but you can decide.
Did you mean Comodo Internet Security Essentials (not to be mistaken with Comodo Internet Security)? The one that monitors for MITM certificates? I had problems with it constantly asking me if i want to block access to google.com. Maybe it detected the Avast SSL certificate. I'll live without it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you mean Comodo Internet Security Essentials (not to be mistaken with Comodo Internet Security)? The one that monitors for MITM certificates? I had problems with it constantly asking me if i want to block access to google.com. Maybe it detected the Avast SSL certificate. I'll live without it.
Yes, as I wrote "I would uninstall Comodo Security Essentials component as per choice, but you can decide."

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Wave

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.