Expired Bitdefender Total Security 2012 90 DAYS FREE

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
277071_120189635022_1518584322_n.jpg

Facebook Link

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks very much for this James. Was going to look at BitDefender after MSE.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
how the issue of "should" uninstall Malwarebytes on the installation process? , or can not update Malwarebytes virus database? Is they have fixed that?

because, approximately 2 months ago. still like that

I really do not know about it. :D
thank you.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Did they tell you to uninstall MalwareBytes when installing BitDefender?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It will most likely be the same as with the beta:

attachment.php

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-BitDefender-Total-Security-2012-BETA-Release-Download-and-Info?pid=10661#pid10661

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Oh, okay. Well on Tuesday when I am planning to install BitDefender I will tell you if that still happens.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Bitdefender's still not in my choices since I've not convinced with their performance improvements.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Bitdefender's still not in my choices since I've not convinced with their performance improvements.

I am now scared to try it because of what has been said about it. :s Is the performance that bad?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
yes I think it may be like that, mclovin.
but, my tests with 670MB of RAM. that pretty, and not make the system slow.
About speed the scan, I would not know it

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
win7holic said:
how the issue of "should" uninstall Malwarebytes on the installation process? , or can not update Malwarebytes virus database? Is they have fixed that?

because, approximately 2 months ago. still like that

I really do not know about it. :D
thank you.

Not sure but its like they released a minor version for Bitdefender AFAIK probably 3 months ago.

I don't know if that released would fix the issue.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
McLovin said:
BoXX28 said:
I am now scared to try it because of what has been said about it. :s Is the performance that bad?

My issues when released were the RT guard crashing when applications were updated, the inconsistent behavior and the dance of controls [changing settings on its own], the Toolbar [and especially the SRA] slowing browsing a lot. Other than that, the actual performance seemed good, my initial impression was that 2012 is a tad slower compared to BD 2011, although many claimed the opposite and felt it's noticeably lighter.

They've been releasing updates fairly regularly, the current build is 15.0.33.1409, I think, the stability has improved dramatically. On a VHD with OAP and BDIS 2012 [with Auto Scan ON] the CPU usage at idle is 1-2%. Either the browser toolbar is faster lately, compared to the released version, or I'm getting used to its slowness :). I'm using this VHD occasionally and often habitually turn the toolbar off. But the impact on browsing speed is very case specific, you wouldn't know how it behaves until you try it personally.

For anyone installing it - good luck, some commitment is required, the process is quick [but nothing compares to Norton and their lightning fast 2 minute installations], you should be able to get good download speed if you use the web installer. Having a recent image is a must, because BD will perform a scan when installing and the "threats" will most probably be handled automatically, at least that was my experience when released...

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Good insight right there NathanF1. I usually tend to hate suites that handles issues automatically since I want to take a deep look at each threat that a suite detects.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks for the information Nathan. You cleared up all my questions. Thanks.

I

illumination

BoXX28 said:
I usually tend to hate suites that handles issues automatically since I want to take a deep look at each threat that a suite detects.

Agree with this, nothing like having a FP deleted and crashing a program and or your system before you have a chance to stop it...

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
That's gotta be one if the most disappointing factors when it comes to suites that are automatic. :p

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
BoXX28 said:
I usually tend to hate suites that handles issues automatically since I want to take a deep look at each threat that a suite detects.

Agree with this, nothing like having a FP deleted and crashing a program and or your system before you have a chance to stop it...

This happened during the quick scan as part of the installation [not sure what the scope was], it could have been cookies that were deleted. Generally, BD should present an option what to do with the found threats after a scan, luckily I haven't had any [including FPs], so I can't comment on the actual behavior.

Thank you for pointing this out, forgot to mention that obviously the focus with 2012 release was to make BD as quiet as possible. One of their support guys commented on this on their forum shortly after 2012 versions were released, he mentioned that the overwhelming feedback from the customers was that they want the product to be unobtrusive, and they tried to achieve that, hence the removal of a lot of the fine-tunning options compared to 2011 products. And that was also a disappointment for me, after being able to tweak BD 2011 to my liking.

I've used 2012 for a while now and for me it's very light - no startup delays, system is very responsive, the jury is still out on the performance of their excellent web protection, but hopefully they'll manage to remove the stigma of slowing browsing down currently attached to it.

But the fact remains that their AV engine is delivering outstanding results - F-Secure, G-DATA and TrustPort are benefiting from using it and perform pretty well in tests, and sadly for BitDefender, with some tweaking and with improvements of other in-house modules [such as DeepGuard in F-Secure], these products manage quite often to better the source...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.