Not open for further replies.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I would not use it. Some of the modules in AV's that include PC Optimization or Tune Up usually don't do much at all or could possibly harm your PC more than it could help. If you want software to cleanup some junk or help with getting rid of traces left over after web browsing then i would recommend CCleaner. Unless you already have it of course.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (built-in);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry Editor (built-in);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (built-in), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller and GeekUninstaller are two good alternatives;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: ProcExp from Sysinternals Suite (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair bad sectors on a hard drive: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (built-in);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.
Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Most of the time any cleaning tools that included on a premium version of AV's are rather fine but not so effective.

I think the cleaning of temp files and others maybe safe but not on registry ones.

Sometimes you cannot really tell if the tools are made by aggressive or passive compare to the actual ones like CCleaner, Kerish Doctor and others.

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Disk Defragging for an HDD is good..all other cleaning tools are just placebo.

You need more power and speed? -> Upgrade your Hardware

Reactions: JB007

idaho

Level 1
Verified
Nov 1, 2015
In my opinion, this tuneups, software updaters, antithefts, parental controls, spam filters, completly useless futures for me. I like pure antivirus+firewall idea, what has Emsisoft. If you need good cleaner, I can recommend you free ccleaner, works great for years, never had single problem with this software.

Reactions: JB007
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.