Bitvise-talking to your appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

Thread author
Nov 29, 2011
What is your fav admin tool?
What is your most used admin tool?

As expected, my answer is the same for both and has been for many years; Tunnelier

Whether you are just building a simple home LAN or perhaps a SOHO/VPN/intranet portal, don't you deserve the same kind of secure control the pros use?...SSH? Understanding how the net works is not that complicated. Taking control of your environment shouldn't be either.

Personally, even tho we use the DC/server farm and tools for intranet portals, the Bitvise tools(especially using the command console) have been the backbone for support on all the networking I manage for many years now(both nix and win). When I hear the words 'remote control' or 'command and control', I think SSH and Bitvise regardless of what additional RC/CnC tools are added to the mix.

If you read the Bitvise pages and want to discuss things like building your own VPN or tunneling/port forwarding for any purpose, I'm fairly fluent. :)

HTH

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Tunnelier seems interesting but I've never used it since PuTTY does what I need. I heard that Tunnelier has additional functionality if used with their own WinSSHD (SSH Server) but is WinSSHD also free for personal use?

mikey

Thread author
Nov 29, 2011
I haven't looked at Putty in a long time. It was a great tool then and I'm sure it is even better now.

"I heard that Tunnelier has additional functionality if used with their own WinSSHD (SSH Server) but is WinSSHD also free for personal use?"

That is quite true. The average user can't imagine the control. As for cost; I'm not sure but I think it's free up to a certain number of appliances but yes, it's a shareware. I wouldn't suggest theft but I believe I have some installations still in use where I haven't yet entered the registration. As I understand even though I've never used one, there are OpenSSH variants around for Windows such as; http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

As for Tunnelier; It has more function even when dealing with a standard SSHd. If you use PuTTY, most Tunnelier features will be readily known to you. However, if you DL a copy, I think you'll find it to be a bit more... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.