Blackhawk's config

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
This basically covers my current configuration. My only infection was via 0day back in 1996. Over the years I have experimented with various security apps and have seen many come and go as the latest and greatest new "neat" app to have. For some people accumulating these apps is an addiction ( lol ). Those people like to "impress" with extensive lists of installs (layers upon layers upon layers), but I have come to believe that keeping it as simple and as light as possible is best and that NOTHING is better than SAFE SURFING!

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I have to LOL at the suggestion of WOT and when I LOL I mean no offense at all... I just figured someone would suggest it. I have used it in the past, but discontinued it because I saw too much false user input. I just don't feel the results are very good or accurate as there seems to be some bias or false reports that make in not desirable to me. I know there are alternatives, but I guess I try to use my own safe surfing practices in it's place. I have no connection to this link, I am simply posting it to show an example of why I don't feel it's accurate...

https://mywotlies.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I have to LOL at the suggestion of WOT and when I LOL I mean no offense at all... I just figured someone would suggest it. I have used it in the past, but discontinued it because I saw too much false user input. I just don't feel the results are very good or accurate as there seems to be some bias or false reports that make in not desirable to me. I know there are alternatives, but I guess I try to use my own safe surfing practices in it's place. I have no connection to this link, I am simply posting it to show an example of why I don't feel it's accurate...

https://mywotlies.wordpress.com/
Fair enough.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Blackhawk. Thank you for sharing your configuration with us. Keeping your set up simple, light, and those safe surfing practices, are good tenets to follow. I was about to recommend CCleaner before noticing it listed under "Other software".
I had used it from time to time for months before reading about it described as a privacy software because of it's removal of the temporary means (cookies & temp files) by which our privacy online can be compromised. It's also safe to use daily.

A free software, one I did not see on your configuration, is represented on my signature space below. It the symbol that looks like a yellow kite missing it's tail,:p and is called Sandboxie. It was originally developed to address vulnerabilities in IE browser by providing a layer of protection called a sandbox, hence Sandbox-ie!;) I liken it to wearing a rain coat on a wet rainy day because it keeps me safe & dry, and our family uses it with Firefox except when updating. It renders additions, and changes made to your browser temporary as all changes & effects remain in effect only until the sandbox's temp content is safely deleted. This is the nature of how it protects your system from unwanted changes as well.:cool: Read about it, so you can decide whether it would be something both light and simple for you!:)

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Thank you Cats. CCleaner... Some of these apps can be classified as one thing or another, I guess it all depends on your view of it. Webroot had a very nice cleaning app some years back called Window Washer, but I believe that has been permanently retired which is a shame. I used Sandboxie when it was in it's infancy and only for a limited time. I may just give it another try some day soon. I am thinking of trying HTTPS Everywhere, but I am waiting to read more on it. Some I know have complained it has greatly slowed their browsers down.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thank you Cats. CCleaner... Some of these apps can be classified as one thing or another, I guess it all depends on your view of it. Webroot had a very nice cleaning app some years back called Window Washer, but I believe that has been permanently retired which is a shame. I used Sandboxie when it was in it's infancy and only for a limited time. I may just give it another try some day soon. I am thinking of trying HTTPS Everywhere, but I am waiting to read more on it. Some I know have complained it has greatly slowed their browsers down.
HTTPS Everywhere works a treat with SlimJet still fast as. Give it a go.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

HTTPS Everywhere is among my core extensions. I've not noticed slow downs on our three systems, but honestly each system is it's own unique mish-mash of components. It's almost as though we've created our own semi-original versions of stew with each individual one offering it's own unique profile of flavors.:p

I feel quite secure using NoScript with Firefox.
Since you're using Sticky Password, I wonder if you can draw a comparison with LastPass for us as it's among the favorite password managers here.:)

You might find the free software from http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/ interesting to browse through. We have only used their Time Freeze on our old retired XP system.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good configuration, just keep your on demand scanners from USB and leave for starters like Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Herdprotect. ;)

Cause for Herdprotect the engines are already in almost on the list of major AV's so just considering the removal feature effectiveness when occurred in such emergency.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Add another browser chromium based like Slimjet just to be sure in case you have a problem with Firefox or IE
Thanks for sharing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.