Bob's Software Configuration

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Starters of on demand scanners: MBAM and Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Backup software is another important if anything happens to your computer; you may use the built in feature from Windows or 3rd party backup program like Macrium Reflect, EAseus Todo Backup and others.

Optional suggestion: If dealing on multiple logins with different combination of passwords then try Lastpass to store them securely.

reyes

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2013
instead of adblock you can use µBlock for chrome and adguard for firefox
UAC should be enabled
Backup software : Macrium free (important)
Also get rid of superantispyware ....... use Hitman Pro or MBAM ondemand
MCshield for usb protection

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
for what, for headache?

First let me start out by asking you a question.
  • 1. Why should UAC be disabled? - Give a valid reason and don't use : It gives me a headache or it's annoying.

If you have it at always notify I could agree with it giving you about it giving you a headache. You are asking for viruses if you turn it off as they can change any settings without your permission. I have mine turned to "Don't notify me when I make changes to the PC". If you download a lot of software it would annoy you, but who actually downloads a bunch of software when you can just run it in a virtual machine and turn off UAC inside of that? - It's not like UAC would kill you, it's only asking you to click "Yes or No"

@nissimezra - So you're telling me that the OP with basic computer knowledge should keep UAC off as it gives you a "headache" ?

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
What are you talking about?

If you have it at always notify I could agree with it giving you about it giving you a headache. You are asking for viruses if you turn it off as they can change any settings without your permission. I have mine turned to "Don't notify me when I make changes to the PC". If you download a lot of software it would annoy you, but who actually downloads a bunch of software when you can just run it in a virtual machine and turn off uac inside of that?

@nissimezra - So you're telling me that the OP with basic computer knowledge should keep UAC off as it gives you a "headache" ?

1. Why should UAC be disabled? - Give a valid reason and don't use : It gives me a headache or it's annoying.
I worked in an IT dept for a year, the first thing was disable UAC and firewall, i use to do a lot of pc so I created a bat file.

many malware can bypass UAC anyway so disabling it could be good idea.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I worked in an IT dept for a year, the first thing was disable UAC and firewall, i use to do a lot of pc so I created a bat file.

1. You never gave me a reason why disabling it was a good idea.
2. That "IT Dept" doesn't seem very smart to me.
3. "Many" isn't "All"

Reactions: Kent

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Sorry Bob, my fellow members/friends just want to give you the advice they believe is most correct. Thank you for sharing your configuration.
Here is a short list of safe software that are free of cost, free of PUPs, and free of headaches (..well, that will actually be up to you!;)):
  1. CCleaner enhances privacy by cleaning files & cookies http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
  2. WinPatrol guards against PUPs & unneeded programs at start up http://www.winpatrol.com/
  3. Time Freeze permits the system to return to an earlier state, free of unwanted changes, like a virtual safety net! http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
As others suggested add another on demand scnner like MalwareBytes free,SuperAntispyware isn't doing good lately.
You can also add HTTPS Everywhere add-on to your browsers to secure your connections when you are visiting sites.
Thanks for sharing:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Remember most set-ups here are for home use, work-based IT environments incorporate different methods of security (Endpoint, Client, Servers, SaaS etcs). UAC has been present since Windows Vista and looks like Microsoft plan on keeping it, users might as well learn and understand how to use it.

Many malware can go undetected by Antivirus software, but doesn't stop the average user from using one, does it?

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Remember most set-ups here are for home use, work-based IT environments incorporate different methods of security (Endpoint, Client, Servers, SaaS etcs). UAC has been present since Windows Vista and looks like Microsoft plan on keeping it, users might as well learn and understand how to use it.

Many malware can go undetected by Antivirus software, but doesn't stop the average user from using one, does it?
i did not tell him to disable it i told him to leave it disabled, its a big different.
yes incorporate it is different they have there on firewall and they are connected to a domain. but it has nothing to do with it they just dont like UAC.

if the user has UAC disabled he probably know why.

UAC did helped me once to determent what program caused my pc to crash but other than that i don't like having it on.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Turned on UAC to "Don't notify me when I make changes to the PC"
@Bob , I changed it too from "Always notify" to "Notify me when apps try to make changes..." which works much better for me now.:cool: It is worded a bit confusingly,:confused: and actually begins with "Notify me.." (above) but further states: "Don't notify me when 'I' make changes" (below).:p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.